Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Difference in front ends..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Difference in front ends..

thinking about getting a 95 formula, but dont really liek the front end on it, so i was going to do the 98-02 swap. I didnt know if there was a difference between the WS6, Formula or the trans am fronts or if they were the same. Now if anyone has pics or any info on the look of these that would be great.. Thanks..
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

Re: Difference in front ends..

The front ends are different, but it's not just that. You'll also have to change the hood and headlights at least. I'm not sure about the front fenders, they may or may not be different on the formulas. Lemme find you some pics now...

Here's a 95 formula, they're basically identical to the firebird until you lift the hood.

Here's a 99 formula, also basically the same to it's v6 cousin.

While you're thinking of conversions, you may also want to go with the trans-am front end/ws-6 hood. (I prefer the firehawk hood, you can look it up on your own though...)

That's it, I've gone far beyond my normal amount of generosity in obtaining these pictures for you. I've even taken the extra effor to find all these pictures in the same color for ease of comparison. Hope this helps with your decision. Just out of curiosity, what was the color of the formula you were planning on buying?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 AM

Id probably just save your $ and just get the 98+ car. Your probably looking at spending 1,500 (maybe more, maybe less... just a guess) to convert the 93-97 to 98+. Plus youd start out with a faster car.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

^^^agreed, LT-1's aren't bad, but they're no LS-1, that's for sure.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 AM

If you cant afford a LS1 car but you want the look I say go for it and do the swap.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Agreed (if you cannot afford and LS! car, go for it) do not let the LS1 owners brag on you because you are not in the click of having an LS1 car. If you do switch the front ends, you will need to replace the front nose clip, hood, headlights and both fenders. On 1998 and up firebirds all models had the vents just aft of the wheel well. But as someone else mentioned it will cost you some money.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by EHuff
Agreed (if you cannot afford and LS! car, go for it) do not let the LS1 owners brag on you because you are not in the click of having an LS1 car. If you do switch the front ends, you will need to replace the front nose clip, hood, headlights and both fenders. On 1998 and up firebirds all models had the vents just aft of the wheel well. But as someone else mentioned it will cost you some money.
It can be done with new parts or old for under $1300 That's $8000 cheaper than a used LS1.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM

I can get these parts for free. I work at a shop where we just deal with f-bodies and other gm products and we buy alot of wrecked f-bodies to part them out and i can get all teh parts for free and i will having this lt1(if i get it) running with the ls1s in no time..
shock6906 i do want to thank you for the pics this helps me out alot, we just got a trans am up work that i think i am going to use. The car is black..
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM

I forgot to ask.. Do the headlights mount the same?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 PM

any difference in the back bumper?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM

t t t
Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

I know there is a difference in the Firebird/Formula rear bumper and the Trans-Am rear bumper...I'll go find out for sure if it changes from the two year groups. (I've got nothing better to do, I just quit my job!)

It doesn't seem that there's a real discernable difference with the two year groups (93-97 and 98-02) If anything, from the pictures I compared, the bubble around the license plate opening looks a little bigger on the newer cars. Other than that, they look almost identical. If you're going to do the trans-am front, you'll almost definitely want to do the rear though. Here's some examples.

This is also from a 95

This is from a 99 WS-6 Trans Am

You'll also notice that the spoilers change between the two versions of the car. This is a little tougher to swap because you have to change the entire decklid. If you're going to do the front conversion, back bumper conversion and the hatch...you may as well just go ahead and get the newer car that has all these parts already installed. Don't forget that you also have the option of doing the 93-97 Trans Am front end which also looks pretty good.
If you also look at the previous pictures, you'll notice there is a little lip at the bottom of the car under the doors on the T/A. This is almost a crucial element because it carries the line from the front bumpers to the back. It's somewhat of a ground effects kit I guess. I'm not sure whether it's molded or not, it may just be bolt on. Maybe somebody else could tell you, I don't have an actual T/A here to inspect more closely.

95 TransAm front end:

Rear bumpers and spoilers stayed the same between the model years. That's about all the info I can give you for now, turns out there's a wealth of red birds and T/A's out there!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 PM

My boss got me a complete parts car, a trans am.. But i havent got to see it yet , so i dont know what is different and what isnt.. Thanks for all your help thought this really helped me out.. I am definetly going to check out the side molding though to see. IT already has teh trans am from bumper
Old 07-21-2006, 06:26 PM

shock6906,

that first pic u have as a 95 firebird is def. not a 95.... its the 98-02, because it has the side vents on the front fenders.... i think the 93-97 firebirds look so gay, thats why i bought a 1997 Camaro Z28, lol i couldn't afford the LS1 either. The 98-02 firebirds look way better than the 98-02 camaros though. If I could have any f-body, I'd have a black 2002 Firehawk, T-tops, 6 SPD, after market exhaust, not sure what kind though, and 18x9.5" C6 Z06 Chrome wheels, and call it a day..... Everyone would look at you, and everyone with an F-body would envy you, and you'd have 335-345 HP, which can take pretty much ne one my age on the streest, cause not many 18 year olds have vettes, or 98+ Mustang Cobras/ saleens.... it'd be sweet...
Old 07-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Im 18 and have a vette
but yea it is great to be the big dog with your friends except when you hang out and cruise with older men with money and smarts to work on these things and then you get your butt handed to you lol

Quick Reply: Difference in front ends..