Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Dash Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:30 AM

Dash Swap?

I am currently looking for an LT1 camaro. I really like the dash in my buddy's 30th. I was wondering how hard it would be to put a 97 dash in place of the 93-96 dash? Will all the connecters match up for the controls and such? Only reason I am thinking about this is cost. I see 93 models selling dirt cheap. The early dash puts off that knight rider feel to me for some reason.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Re: Dash Swap?

It took me a little over 6 hrs to swap in my TA dash. The Trans Am dash is pretty much just a 97+ Camaro dash. A lot of that time was spent ripping out my old Camaro dash. The old Camaro dash is a lot harder to get out than the TA or Camaro dashes. If you do a search on here you will find wiring diagrams of what needs to be changed. Its time consuming but by no means really that hard.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 PM

I gotta say Z95, your interior is sweeeet. How much were the door panels, dash parts/etc ?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by mourningyou
I gotta say Z95, your interior is sweeeet. How much were the door panels, dash parts/etc ?
Thanks a lot. The TA stuff is nice. It will probably make you sick when you hear it. I met a guy that was parting out his 93TA with the same color interior as me. He let me have his entire interior for $160. $60 for the door panels $100 for the seats, and $0 for the dash.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
It took me a little over 6 hrs to swap in my TA dash. The Trans Am dash is pretty much just a 97+ Camaro dash. A lot of that time was spent ripping out my old Camaro dash. The old Camaro dash is a lot harder to get out than the TA or Camaro dashes. If you do a search on here you will find wiring diagrams of what needs to be changed. Its time consuming but by no means really that hard.
6 HOURS! I'm doing this swap right now and so far with little probelms I have over 10-12 hours in it. I had to swap out everything. The harness in the dash runs to the back of the car. You also have to change the forward interior harness, it runs from one door, above the dash, and to the other door. Several pins in the forward harnesses are different and need to be changed and several of the switches on my pedals were different. Many things are different because the 94 and 97 systems are totally different. The 97 uses a body control module to control everything.

To do this you will have to have the entire dash and electrical system from a donnor car, mauals for both cars and a good knowledge of electrical systems. I'm going a little crazy here, but the end result will be worth it.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
6 HOURS!
To do this you will have to have the entire dash and electrical system from a donnor car, mauals for both cars and a good knowledge of electrical systems. I'm going a little crazy here, but the end result will be worth it.
No you don't all you need is the dash and the plug in off a 93+ Bird or 97+ Camaro. Look at this page. It'll make you sick how much extra work you are doing. http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/345879/3
Old 02-22-2005, 10:01 AM

i love those seats....i got the same ones and put them in my camaro. They are so comfortable. Quick question though...they have some kind of air inflation system in them. I'm guessing it is a lumbar or something. Did you hook them up or just leave it undone?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
No you don't all you need is the dash and the plug in off a 93+ Bird or 97+ Camaro. Look at this page. It'll make you sick how much extra work you are doing. http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/345879/3
I saw your site and decided to go all the way instead of just adapting the newer dash to my existing harness. Everything fits perfect and dosn't look butchered.

I just got mine running a few hours ago. It took a while, but it was worth it.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
I saw your site and decided to go all the way instead of just adapting the newer dash to my existing harness. Everything fits perfect and dosn't look butchered.

I just got mine running a few hours ago. It took a while, but it was worth it.
Thats not my site and really doesn't require any "Butchering". The pins and wires come straight out of the 93-96 Camaro plug and will fit right into the 93+TA 97+ Camaro plug. The AC controls and headlight plugs don't have to be modified either. Really the only thing that has to be modded is extending the 2 hatch pop wires from the pass side to the drivers side, rear defroster and i had to splice in the TA fog light wiring plug in. That might be different on the TA vs the 97+ camaro. So i guess i maybe spliced about 10 wires.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1-bad-z28
i love those seats....i got the same ones and put them in my camaro. They are so comfortable. Quick question though...they have some kind of air inflation system in them. I'm guessing it is a lumbar or something. Did you hook them up or just leave it undone?
I hooked them up. You need the TA seat wiring harness and air line. Its all bundled up together. You can probably find one used for pretty cheap.