Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Dash Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Dash Replacement?

Another victim of the top dash cracking into a million pieces here. I found this dash on Ebay that is suppose to go over your original dash, glued in place, to cover your old cracked original. Since I threw mine out, do you guys think I could make something like this work to just replace it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...Q5fAccessories

It states it is made of ABS plasitc, and the only thing I can see that is different is it doesn't have the slots on the sides that the A pillars connect into. Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Re: Dash Replacement?

6le has replacements on his website...take a look some pretty good deals on there
Old 05-09-2011, 04:09 PM

This and 6LE's look like they adher to the existing one. If you already tossed yours, I don't know what you would stick it to.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM

they sell covers made of some type of fabric for $29.99 shipped on Ebay. Check it out may be the cheapest way to go but not a long term fix.
Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM

6LE'S dash then fabric cover over it so it don't crack again WTF lol
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Try JCWhitney too
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Right now I'm in the middle of repairing mine...
Mine wasn't to bad, exept in 1 spot... I tried using epoxy, and that just wasn't working. So I decided to use duck tape. Just start by laying down strips of duct tape and over lapping some so they stick together. I then arranged the pieces so they fit correctly and put the tape on the bottoms 1st( this is important because tape won't stick to the top). The once you do that. Then I wrapped tape from the bottom around the top and attached it at the bottom. I did this over the entire part excote where the vents are. I then went the other way and tried to get the entire dash covered in ducttape except were the vent is. Then I got headliner spry and sprayed black vynal and the dash. Waited till it got tacky and put them together. The cut around the edges so that it will all lay even. And glued the outside part to the bottom....

There was a write up down on another forum, I can't remember which one.

Hope this helped, it cost me about:
$12- vynal
$5 - adhesive
$10 duct tape.
Plus about 1 hour of time
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by red97rs
Right now I'm in the middle of repairing mine...
Mine wasn't to bad, exept in 1 spot... I tried using epoxy, and that just wasn't working. So I decided to use duck tape. Just start by laying down strips of duct tape and over lapping some so they stick together. I then arranged the pieces so they fit correctly and put the tape on the bottoms 1st( this is important because tape won't stick to the top). The once you do that. Then I wrapped tape from the bottom around the top and attached it at the bottom. I did this over the entire part excote where the vents are. I then went the other way and tried to get the entire dash covered in ducttape except were the vent is. Then I got headliner spry and sprayed black vynal and the dash. Waited till it got tacky and put them together. The cut around the edges so that it will all lay even. And glued the outside part to the bottom....

There was a write up down on another forum, I can't remember which one.

Hope this helped, it cost me about:
$12- vynal
$5 - adhesive
$10 duct tape.
Plus about 1 hour of time

That is originally what I did, but I didn't do that great of a job. I was taking it off so i could recover it and I ended up with about 10 different pieces of dash. At one point I thought about plastic welding it all back together, but I was hoping I could get something like 6le's dash to work. Maybe with a lot of velco or something to hold it in place. I only drive the car about 3 months out of the year, so it isn't something that needs to be done ASAP, but I would like to save some money if I can instead of spending $250 or more on a replacement dash.

Last edited by Koby; 05-11-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: my awesome grammer