Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Cleaning the engine bay in my LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM

Cleaning the engine bay in my LT1

So what is the easiest and SAFEST way to clean the engine bay in my LT1? I dont want to mess anything up like the opti or any of the electronics, so what are yalls methods? I usually just use a damp rag and wipe everything down, then start with the armor all. But what are some tricks of the trade to get stuff like dust out of the crevices of wire looms and such?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:36 PM

me personally, i use a bottle of water and a ton of paper towels, get everything wet, then spray some type of grease/grime remover like simple green. get a little on there and just use the spray bottle to add water accordingly and wipe with paper towels or even cloth towels, w/e u want. my engine bay was immaculate after doing this and using a tooth brush on the really hard to reach or tought grimey areas. ill warn you tho, i went through about 4 decent size bottles of water in the spray bottle and took around 4 hours.lol. got a nice suntan tho.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM

Yup I plan on just making an afternoon of it
Old 05-31-2007, 09:27 PM

Gunk Engine Brite. The first time I used that on my car right after I bought it, about 70% of the crap that had been accumulating for God knows how long literally just dripped to the ground. Comes out in a really thin, controlled stream so it's easy to avoid the opti.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 PM

The biggest thing is not to use a lot of water or other liquids that would get to the opti. Anything you can spray from a bottle should be fine, but don't even think about bringing a hose or pressure washer close to it unless you feel like doing an opti change as well.

A tooth brush is an excellent idea. Try the polish wheels on a dremel to shine all the small things like fuel rails or brake lines. Some guys even put wax on the larger areas of color under the hood like above the shocks and struts area. Take your time, and give it a lot of time, and you should have a good looking engine bay.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Captain
So what is the easiest and SAFEST way to clean the engine bay in my LT1? I dont want to mess anything up like the opti or any of the electronics, so what are yalls methods? I usually just use a damp rag and wipe everything down, then start with the armor all. But what are some tricks of the trade to get stuff like dust out of the crevices of wire looms and such?
westly's bleach white. spray it everywhere let it soak for 15 seconds. as long as it doesn't dry your fine. spray it off with a high pressure water source. repeat. get the rest with a rag and soapy water. don't spray the opti area or coil. make sure the engine is not hot. make sure you do it in the shade.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Critter
westly's bleach white. spray it everywhere let it soak for 15 seconds. as long as it doesn't dry your fine. spray it off with a high pressure water source. repeat. get the rest with a rag and soapy water. don't spray the opti area or coil. make sure the engine is not hot. make sure you do it in the shade.
Also to add to that if you take this route, just to be safe cover the opti with aluminum foil and put a towel over that. I used this method and had no issues with mine. (also started it up soon after i was finished with everything) looked like new when i was done - cleaner - simple green/purple power. both good choices.