Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Cheap Stripes on Ebay??? $90

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Cheap Stripes on Ebay??? $90

I searched but couldn't find anything on this seller. Anyone on here order stripes from this guy? They look alright for $90. I'm sure the vinyl isn't top quality but for the price its hard to pass up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem

Item # 160002149176

Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 PM

Re: Cheap Stripes on Ebay??? $90

yea i figured that. I kept it safe and ordered the $190 that everyone is recommending.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:46 PM

Wow, 190 for vinyl! Thats what I paid to get my ZL1 stripe painted on, I guess its good to have friends in the paint bushiness.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:28 AM

agh..... I have mechanics and body shop guys, none can paint though. Which is what I need the most.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:06 PM

I produce those stripes, they are minimum 7 year outdoor vinyl 3M for solid color, Oracal for Metallics, and Avery for Chrome and reflective. As for the "you get what you pay for" comment, I guess I could jack a couple of my stripe kits up to $300 to make them higer quality. anyway, Let me know if you need anything in the future, you can tell by my e-bay feedback that they are good items.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 PM

hey thanks for the response! I actually havn't ordered yet. If I ordered them tonight do you think they could possibly come in by this weekend? The only reason I asked for opinions on here is because there is a lot of crappy stuff on ebay. I'm glad you cleared it up though.

And i saw you had black but it looked more of a matte color. I have a Mystic Teal and was thinking a gloss black would look better. What would you recommend sense you've done this before.

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 AM

I ordered mine from ebay and paid like $50 for them,after few months they cracked in alot of places
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Justin98TransAm
I produce those stripes, they are minimum 7 year outdoor vinyl 3M for solid color, Oracal for Metallics, and Avery for Chrome and reflective. As for the "you get what you pay for" comment, I guess I could jack a couple of my stripe kits up to $300 to make them higer quality. anyway, Let me know if you need anything in the future, you can tell by my e-bay feedback that they are good items.
not to be an *** but I paid like $160 from Rksport and they lasted like 2-3 years.goodluck with the 7 year lasting thing
Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EdkicMedkic
not to be an *** but I paid like $160 from Rksport and they lasted like 2-3 years.goodluck with the 7 year lasting thing
The vinyl rating is for applications on a vertical surface (hood, roof, rear deck stripes are horizontal). There is a reason companies don't do the rating for horizontal surfaces... way more harsh conditions which means it won't last as long. IMO, only cast vinyl should ever even be considered for stripes. Cast vinyl will typically have a 7-10 year rating for solid colors depending on color. Calendered vinyl is a cheaper vinyl which usually has a max rating of 7 years even for the best most expensive calendered stuff.

What else must be considered and factors heavily into how long it will last (and even more so than the vinyl rating itself) is the conditions you expose your car to. A car that is in the garage and used as a weekend car you might get 5 year vinyl to last 10 years on the horizontal surface! But, a car that sits in the Florida sun all day everyday you might only get 5 years out of a 10 year vinyl. I have on my 94Z some very cheap black vinyl for my "Supercharged" decals that I got nearly 10 years ago. Vinyl still looks NEW on that car. But, the car is a garage queen So, basically, many factors go into determining just exactly how long a vinyl application will last. The vinyl rating can be used as a good guide to determine the quality of the vinyl but actual life can be lower or even higher.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Letchworth40
hey thanks for the response! I actually havn't ordered yet. If I ordered them tonight do you think they could possibly come in by this weekend? The only reason I asked for opinions on here is because there is a lot of crappy stuff on ebay. I'm glad you cleared it up though.

And i saw you had black but it looked more of a matte color. I have a Mystic Teal and was thinking a gloss black would look better. What would you recommend sense you've done this before.

Thanks,

-Brian
You'll most likely get them middle to end of the week, you'll be e-mailed a tracking number when they are sent.
Thanks for you business!

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
The vinyl rating is for applications on a vertical surface (hood, roof, rear deck stripes are horizontal). There is a reason companies don't do the rating for horizontal surfaces... way more harsh conditions which means it won't last as long. IMO, only cast vinyl should ever even be considered for stripes. Cast vinyl will typically have a 7-10 year rating for solid colors depending on color. Calendered vinyl is a cheaper vinyl which usually has a max rating of 7 years even for the best most expensive calendered stuff.

What else must be considered and factors heavily into how long it will last (and even more so than the vinyl rating itself) is the conditions you expose your car to. A car that is in the garage and used as a weekend car you might get 5 year vinyl to last 10 years on the horizontal surface! But, a car that sits in the Florida sun all day everyday you might only get 5 years out of a 10 year vinyl. I have on my 94Z some very cheap black vinyl for my "Supercharged" decals that I got nearly 10 years ago. Vinyl still looks NEW on that car. But, the car is a garage queen So, basically, many factors go into determining just exactly how long a vinyl application will last. The vinyl rating can be used as a good guide to determine the quality of the vinyl but actual life can be lower or even higher.

this is a very good point! All of my vinyl is cast not calendared. I have orange stripes on my daily driver they have been on about a year. It's outside all the time, I also take it through an automatic car wash about 2 to 3 times per month, this is one that has all the spinning brushes and stuff, I've not had any issues with this vinyl yet. I also had stripes on my Trans Am for about 3 years with no issues, it was however kept in a garage most of the time.

Last edited by Justin98TransAm; 07-03-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
01Z

I paid good money for a stripe job to the tune of $260 locally. The horizontal stripes curled and discolored within a year and I don't mean just a little bit of curling or a small amount of discoloring. The horizontal stripes were totally trashed while the vertical ones are like new. I didn't ask about the quality because I would never have figured they would do what they did in such short order.

Anyway, I ordered new vinyl and replaced it myself since the pattern was easy to follow on the surfaces now. The car is out of the sun and most weather. The new horizontal vinyl is a now year old and shows no signs of deterioration. Like Brent says, it's exposure along with the quality.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 01Z
I paid good money for a stripe job to the tune of $260 locally. The horizontal stripes curled and discolored within a year and I don't mean just a little bit of curling or a small amount of discoloring. The horizontal stripes were totally trashed while the vertical ones are like new. I didn't ask about the quality because I would never have figured they would do what they did in such short order.

Anyway, I ordered new vinyl and replaced it myself since the pattern was easy to follow on the surfaces now. The car is out of the sun and most weather. The new horizontal vinyl is a now year old and shows no signs of deterioration. Like Brent says, it's exposure along with the quality.

when I first started this business I used a cheaper vinyl, after having to replace a bunch of stripe kits for free, I quickly figured that out.