Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Cant get windows clean..

Old 01-20-2004, 12:10 AM

Angry Cant get windows clean..

after i bought my firebird i noticed what looks to be watermarks on my windows and mirrors...ive tried windex and other window cleaners and nothing helps at all ...i have tinted windows too, dont know if it could be something with that but nothing seems to help and it looks bad...if anyone could help me out with what can get it off id appreciate it...thanks....
Old 01-20-2004, 06:48 AM

I've searched for a bit and I can't find the name of the stuff - but Wal-Mart has some glass cleaner back in the automotive section that is supposed to be pretty heavy duty. It is in a black can with yellow writing. If you work in industry, and you have a Wurth supplier, get some of their glass cleaner - you will never find anything that comes close to it.

But find you a high quality spray on foam type cleaner (like the two I mentioned above - or anything from 3M if you can find it) and then use some terry cloth towels and press pretty hard on the glass and use circular motions, like waxing. Or if you want to try and skip the terry cloth, use newspapers.

Avoid anything with a lot of ammonia, or any ammonia at all if possible - such as Windex - it can make your tint turn lose, and also discolor it.

And BTW - welcome to the board!

(Also note - just one forum down is the Show & Shine section - this type of question really belongs in there...just for future reference).
Old 01-20-2004, 02:03 PM

Try MX-7. The guy that tinted 3 of my cars and my house highly recommended it to me.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:07 PM

Re: Cant get windows clean..

Originally posted by Skyhawk
after i bought my firebird i noticed what looks to be watermarks on my windows and mirrors...ive tried windex and other window cleaners and nothing helps at all ...i have tinted windows too, dont know if it could be something with that but nothing seems to help and it looks bad...if anyone could help me out with what can get it off id appreciate it...thanks....
I had this same problem when I bought my car. See this thread!
I ended up buying the Zaino Bros Z-12 Glass polish and with a little elbow grease, it worked wonderfully.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:30 PM

Take a piece of black-inked newspaper (non-colored stuff) and some vinegar. Pour some on the paper and wipe your windows down. I've been using this method for years... works great.

-Eric H
Old 01-20-2004, 06:37 PM

yeah ive been trying everything but ill try those ideas and see if they work...hopefully one of them will b/c the windows jsut make the car look dirty
Old 01-20-2004, 08:42 PM

I've got the Zaino glass polish; works great!!!