Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Bubbling Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Bubbling Paint

I have an '01 SS with the bubbling paint on the panel behind the t-tops. It first started right at the bottom of the panel and in the last year has spread across the whole top of the panel. My Camaro has only 11,000 miles on it and never sits outside, it sits in the garage all the time it is not being driven. I have been to 2 dealers, the first one told me there was no way GM would cover it, but the 2nd one was more helpful. They referred me to the GM customer service line and I have been talking to them about it trying to get it covered.
I was told by the customer service rep. that it is my responsibility since it is past the 3 years. She claims that there hasn't been many cars with this problem. Everyone who has a f-body with this problem should call them and make the problem known so that maybe we can get this crap recalled. The phone number is 866-790-5600

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21339
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM

Re: Bubbling Paint

I've got an 01 SS also, with the same problem. A cop, also with an 01 SS, stopped me because he wanted to see if he wanted to lower his car like mine or not. He saw the paint bubbling and told me he brought his to the dealership and they replaced it.

I took mine in and the guy said that he would have to take pictures and ask some big wig if they would cover it. He also told me the previous day another person came in with the same problem, so they are feeding you some BS about not being common, IMO.

Wish I could help some more, but I'm waiting on them to give me some word back as they said it would take about 5-6 weeks before they knew (I went in about 2 weeks ago)

Logan
Old 07-28-2006, 11:04 AM

She's lying!!! This is a known problem and fairly common. It is also a manufactures defect and so doesn't fall under the standard "normal ware" warrenty. Go to http://www.chirpthird.com/ and do a search, quite a bit of info on this. Just a letter from a helpful lawyer will often be enough to get things moving.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM

This is really scary! I had to run to the garage and check both cars. Both cars are alright.

Does this not affect '93-'97 cars for some reason?

Why does it seem like nearly every single one of you have a BLACK roof having this problem??? I checked the topics on LS1.com and it's a really obvious pattern. Could it be the black paint more than others?! Or the fact that black paint gets hotter in the sun than other colors?!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:29 PM

My black '96 has this problem on the roof too. - its just the clearcoat layer that has bubbled and is actually peeling off. Re-paint time for me
Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 AM

Are you sure it has bubbled? Or has the clearcoat just started flaking? Because our '95 has some flaking happening, but in no way does it have bubbles.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Yah the paint is bubbling, not just the clear coat. It is a problem that is fairly common starting in 99-2002 with the change of adhesive used to hold the panel on. It started at the bottom of the panel behind the drivers window, then went to the passenger side bottom and is now going across behind the t-tops in two rows right over where the adhesive was placed.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 AM

Sorry 1fastroc, I should have been more specific, but my previous post was directed to MachinistOne since his car is a '96 and should have the adhesive that isn't causing the problem.

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-31-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Did anyone get this problem corrected? I went to several dealers in my area and none of them would cover it as they said because it wasn't rust, that it wasn't covered in the rust through warranty and that it was an ultra violet ray issue and wasn't going to be covered by GM... ...I showed them the TSB but it didn't matter... Is there anyone in GM I can contact who knows a good deal about this problem who can set up a service date?