Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Botched white face gauge install... suggestions?

Old 05-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Botched white face gauge install... suggestions?

Hey Guys,

I just got a LS1 Camaro with white faced gauges. However, I immediately noticed few of the gauges are reading correctly... i.e., the needles were not put back on in the correct places. I know for a fact the speedo is off somewhere between 5 to 10 mph. The tach is also off.

I'm sure some of you guys have screwed up a white face gauge install and I'm wondering how you have corrected this?

I'm thinking I have two options...

1) Buy a scan tool and make the parameters match up with the engine sensors.

2) Use a GPS for the speedo, once the speedo is fixed, use the speedo as a cross reference for the tach and fix the tach. A volt meter for the voltage gauge. For the others I'll wing it or leave them as is

Any suggestions? I don't really see any other way to do this but am curious if I'm missing something or there might be a better way? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:46 AM

I know on my ls1 the needles just put them selves where they belong so i don't believe you can move the needles. I say live with it or take them off and try to reglue them somehow.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:55 AM

Yeah man I guess like My84Z my speedo seemed to self-calibrate itself after my rev. indiglo install. I had my brother tail me to double check. My fuel needle seemed to be off a tad, but I fixed it by popping the needle off and putting it back on again, which was a PITA. But I took a picture of the needles prior to the install so I knew where to put them. But since you have no prior frame of reference I guess that's out. Honestly the only thing I worried about was the fuel guage, because I didn't want to be stranded somewhere. If you do pop off a needle make sure you use a fork or something similar and not your fingers.