Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Borla vs. SLP/CME vs. true duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM

Borla vs. SLP/CME vs. true duals

ok, i want this thread to be the center for disscussion to help everyone decide what exhaust to impliment on our camaros/trans ams.

******** i am leaving magnaflow and flowmaster out of it cuz i feel single in dual outs arent worth a damn.*********

Ok , Borla vs. SLP/CME vs. true duals.
IMO..... Borla is of the highest quality, sounds amazing and the adjustable feature is nice but its just an expensive cutout. It looks good, depends on the tips!

SLP is loud.........uhhhh yeah, thats all i have to say. I mean if u like the sound of a raspy old lady yelling at u, this is your exhaust. BUT!!!! CME is the most amazing look ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it can make pos look amazing.

True Duals are the **** i think. The sound and performance is great but i hate not seeing some tips. if u dump them b4 the axel and look at the rear, its almost like somthing is missing......

So the perfect exhaust 4 me would be a Borla catback w/ CME tips!!!!

Lets hear it yall
Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM

Re: Borla vs. SLP/CME vs. true duals

The only exhaust you mentioned that isn't a single inlet/ dual outlet is the true dual option. Borla and SLP's exhaust all use a Y pipe before being split after the muffler. Since those "aren't worth a damn", I'd say that narrows you down to true duals.

^There is your borla exhaust. It uses a y pipe that splits after the axle, sending half the exhaust through the muffler and the other half through the adjustable portion.

Just to throw in my $.02. I have the CME hooked up to a magnaflow catback. I got the stainless magnaflow shipped to my door for $289. IMO, the big truck tips magnaflow uses destroys the sound. Flowing through the CME, it doesn't sound anything like other magnaflow cars I've heard.

Last edited by 68z28; 03-10-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 AM

There are plenty of other exhausts out there that sound good and perform quite nicely. Like was posted above- any exhaust that uses a single intermediate pipe is going to fall into the 'single inlet' category.

TSP Rumbler, SLP LM1 & LM2, Magnaflow, Borla, Hooker, Corsa, GMPP and yes, even Flowmaster are all decent exhaust systems and can sound pretty good.

As far as CME- that to me is strictly a visual modification, has nothing to do with performance. And technically, if anything I would say it might cause a restriction more than help since you are adding 2 more 90* bends in the exhaust- but I would have to assume its so small of a difference its not even worth mentioning or truly considering from a performance standpoint.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 AM

This is definitely the wrong section for this topic, but here's my 2 cents.

Borla sounds pretty good, but the tips look lame and always have.

SLP CME used the same muffler as SLP's Dual-Dual exhaust, it's smooth, bellowing, and isn't raspy or particularly loud. You're thinking of Loudmouth, which with some work, CME tips would fit to. We have CME. If you don't have a subwoofer, you won't even barely hear anything. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC9yF4I2Vh4 Maybe on an LT1 you'll hear more than that, but I doubt much more.

True duals aren't that cool to me. There's not a great place to put them, they honestly look kind of dumb, you'll choke on exhaust if you are a stoplight with the windows down, and if you actually try to run them all the way to the rear of the car, you're just adding weight to the car.

SLP CME is the best looking and best sounding to me. B&B is cool as well. Corsa is okay but I don't like the sound.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM

Nothing wrong with the TOTL, in my opinion, especially if you don't have the cone-of-silence. I do like both the Borla & Corsa tips though.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Coming to a Z near me.....Off the headers 30'' power sticks and dump in front of the rear tires,3''s all the way. the sound and feel is soo sweat!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Borla...well some people swear by em....its still a catback so sound and free flowing you'll get... slightly...whether your LT1 or LS1 you'll be looking at huge gains with aftermarket headers/ORY combo...will be make as much HP as a true dual..(unless your running turbo or pullied.)SLP/CME is really a dual/dual with visual valence and tips...still a dual/dual it does how ever sound clean...not much of a hp gain unless you do the aforemention headers/ory..True duals with tune have been known to open the LS1's quite a bit...and with the right muffler can be sweet..but the fab work can be daunting on some that are on a budget..but TSP..and Bassani make fitted kits so go for it..My personal opinion is if your not running hard...then keep it street fast with a high flow cat, free flow catback, lid, free ram air or CAI, and tune...when your serious then bump up the H/C/I and decide on an exhaust then....cus it will be a world of difference with the H/C/I..I say focus on some suspension and you'll be fine..=D
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

theres always the E-Cutout route.!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by malachi85
Borla...well some people swear by em....its still a catback so sound and free flowing you'll get... slightly...whether your LT1 or LS1 you'll be looking at huge gains with aftermarket headers/ORY combo...will be make as much HP as a true dual..(unless your running turbo or pullied.)SLP/CME is really a dual/dual with visual valence and tips...still a dual/dual it does how ever sound clean...not much of a hp gain unless you do the aforemention headers/ory..True duals with tune have been known to open the LS1's quite a bit...and with the right muffler can be sweet..but the fab work can be daunting on some that are on a budget..but TSP..and Bassani make fitted kits so go for it..My personal opinion is if your not running hard...then keep it street fast with a high flow cat, free flow catback, lid, free ram air or CAI, and tune...when your serious then bump up the H/C/I and decide on an exhaust then....cus it will be a world of difference with the H/C/I..I say focus on some suspension and you'll be fine..=D
^^ He knows what he's talking about. I agree with everything he said.

Also, the reason Borla is louder than stock is because the muffler is smaller. I don't know the physics of it (I really wish I did honestly) but the smaller the muffler, the louder it's going to be. You can get round mufflers, oval ones, and probably other shapes. The shape probably affects sound output, but I don't know how.

And there's different styles of mufflers. There's 3 chambered, 2 chambered, cross-flow, and probably some other styles. The style of muffler really affects sound a lot. SLP Dual-Dual was smooth like a subwoofer, but Flowmaster's cross-flow is loud and raspy if I remember right, almost like aluminum cans rattling.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:42 PM

borla exhaust has a y-pipe? so i have a y-pipe and dint know it?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM

I don't even know of any aftermarket 4th gen exhausts that use x-pipes, so yes. It's not easy to route pipe over both sides of the axle and it's kind of a waste b/c it adds weight. Even GMMG used y-pipes.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:41 PM

You want the better performing exhaust? True duals

You want the better looking and sounding exhaust? Borla
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Get what works and also, what you like. Everyone has their opinions and a lot of them are true but of course their's a lot of false information. I also think Borla has some of the best tips around. Finish and quality is up their.

I believe when it comes to exhaust, you get what you pay for. I'd love me some Corsa exhaust.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM

I have a magnaflow exhaust. I can hear my radio. When I'm ***** to the wall, its not super loud, but sounds amazing. Borlas sound great if you don't get headaches easily. I'm just saying not to count out magnaflow.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Name:  BlackF-Bodies136.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  1.01 MB

I say c5 tips with LM1 I love loud I mean come on guys we have a muscle car rite lol

Quick Reply: Borla vs. SLP/CME vs. true duals