Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

anyone shave the letters on the back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 07:32 PM

anyone shave the letters on the back?

I'd like to try something different. Anyone ever shave the letters on the filler panel thats between the taillights? I'd like it to just be smooth right there as well as shaving the emblem on the nose. How difficult would that be? I imagine it would take a little fiberglass fabrication skills. Anyone on here do it?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:44 PM

I suppose you could just them filled and painted over fairly easily.....
I've never heard of someone wanting/trying to do that though.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:17 PM

im not 100% sure this is his name but there is someone on here that did that. He filled it in painted it matte black and put a 69' style z/28 emblem where the letters once were. I think it look very good. I think his name is ponykillr or something like that.

EDIT: Both SuperDave479 and Ponykillr in This Post have done it. Like i said before i think it looks nice.

Last edited by stang_killa94; 01-31-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:39 PM

I give him props for doing it but I think it looks funny. i wouldn't do it but everyone has their own opinions and some people may not like my car.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 AM

I did it. I basically got a dremel, ground out the paint from the lettering and to give the filler a keyed surface. Sanded the main surface, filled and painted. At the same time I shaved the lock. Here's on old pic I found.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the...&.dnm=65f6.jpg

Last edited by Dark Angel; 02-01-2004 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:23 AM

www.camarocasanova.freeservers.com

pics

Shaving that part was about the only thing that ever turned out perfect the first time hehe
Old 02-01-2004, 08:04 PM

i just shaved my rear panel completely. check out my pics in my sig.

i wouldn't say it was hard to do but time consuming because u have to let it dry everytime u put more filler on it. and then u have to sand and wetsand and dry it and start all over again and again. but it's well worth it.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by jer4251
i just shaved my rear panel completely. check out my pics in my sig.

i wouldn't say it was hard to do but time consuming because u have to let it dry everytime u put more filler on it. and then u have to sand and wetsand and dry it and start all over again and again. but it's well worth it.
Looks awesome! So you just filled it with body filler eh? I was thinking of doing the same thing like the old school cars with the black panel and the 69 Z28 style emblem. I like your car.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by Dark Angel
I did it. I basically got a dremel, ground out the paint from the lettering and to give the filler a keyed surface. Sanded the main surface, filled and painted. At the same time I shaved the lock. Here's on old pic I found.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the...&.dnm=65f6.jpg
Your car looks badass as well!!!! What kind of wheels are you running? I like the deep polished lip.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:49 PM

the stuff i used was made by bondo and i picked it up at walmart for 5 bucks, and then i got a tube of body filler from auto zone.

thanks, and i just used dupla-color flat black for car/truck/suv. hardly cost me anything to do it, 45 for the rear panel, 5 for the bondo, 2 for the tube of filler, 3 for the paint, 15.50 for the emblem and another 5 for the overlays. overall a cheap mod for a sweet look.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by jer4251
the stuff i used was made by bondo and i picked it up at walmart for 5 bucks, and then i got a tube of body filler from auto zone.

thanks, and i just used dupla-color flat black for car/truck/suv. hardly cost me anything to do it, 45 for the rear panel, 5 for the bondo, 2 for the tube of filler, 3 for the paint, 15.50 for the emblem and another 5 for the overlays. overall a cheap mod for a sweet look.
How do you think the black panel would look on a teal car though? I was thinking about having the black rear panel and the red hashmarks on my front drivers fener as my only "trim"
Old 02-01-2004, 11:31 PM

I think the rear panel would look fine on a teal car. but i dont know about the red stripes. do u mean the grand sport style? if anything, white silver or black would look best on the teal color. it all depends how much you want it to stand out.

you can always ask somebody to photoshop it for you.

I would do the flat black rear panel and put a chrome emblem on it right in the center.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:50 PM

My car had red Z28 emblems and the rear panel letters are painted red and I think that the red actually goes pretty good with the teal if its not too much. I ditched the emblems a long time ago but the letters are still red. My red subframe connectors look alright too, what little I can see of them. Thats why i was thinking of the red hashmarks. Id like to get a SS hood too and paint the scoop part of iy flat black to match the rear tail panel once I shave and paint it flat black. I think the new Mach 1 Mustangs have the scoop painted flat black and i think it looks pretty cool. Anyone remember the AAR 'Cudas? They had flat black stripes on them. It was actually like a flat black with a bumpy texture i think.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:49 PM

Check Here:

http://members.cardomain.com/n_ecstaz

Shaved all but key hole because body man forgot I wanted it done plus shaved antenae. Hope this helps.

Peace
Old 02-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by INSANEZ
Check Here:

http://members.cardomain.com/n_ecstaz

Shaved all but key hole because body man forgot I wanted it done plus shaved antenae. Hope this helps.

Peace
Car looks great! Lower that rig and it will even look better. I'd be kinda scared to shave the key hole because sometimes my latch wont open with the remote. I guess it wouldnt be much of a biggie since the trunk is pretty worthless anyways....

Quick Reply: anyone shave the letters on the back?