Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone with knowledge about 93-97 Formula Firehawk SLP fog lights?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Question Anyone with knowledge about 93-97 Formula Firehawk SLP fog lights?

Hi everyone.

Ive been toying with the idea of adding fog lights to my 1995 formula for a while now. The previous owner put some dumb looking blue ones on it, and I got pulled over by the poe-poes a while back so I just stopped turning them on.

Anyways, I want to do it the right way this time. I already have HID's installed in the headlights using the Hella housings.

I have searched all over the interweb, and I'm not finding much. What I do find is full of dead links or linked pictures that are no longer available. Very frustrating.

I've found the SLP kit, and it looks like a great (and possibly ONLY) option! What are the thoughts on this kit? Is the quality good? Is it a PITA to install? I have called the seller, and verified that it is a glass lens and metal housing, but they said it was a sealed beam unit?? Is this true? How do you replace them if this is the case? I would like to know if somebody actually has a Firehawk or WS6 with these fog lights to let me know if they are sealed or not. No offence to the company, but they were very rushed and were not exactly excited to help me with all my questions, and maybe they didn't look at them very well.

I was hoping to buy the SLP kit and install some HID's in the housings. Has anyone attempted that? I know you can disassemble a sealed headlight housing and then epoxy a different bulb onto it, but I don't know how well that would work with the fog lights.. I would probably try the 880 bulb that is used in the Trans Am fog lights.

Is it true that every Firebird has the wiring already installed for fog lights? I would only need to buy the factory switch? I see those things are stupid expensive brand new, but used ones are much cheaper. I'm debating using the factory switch but my own wiring so I can control when they are on, not just when the running lights are on.

Thanks everyone for the input, as always, I really appreciate it!!

Cody
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Re: Anyone with knowledge about 93-97 Formula Firehawk SLP fog lights?

I installed them - sort of.

I didn't like the square look, so I modified the light bracket for these lights.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Opti...Model_2020.jsp

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse9e37ba6.jpg

E-mail me, and I'll give you the wiring diagram, install photos, etc.

Last edited by FirebirdGT; 04-02-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by FirebirdGT
I installed them - sort of.

I didn't like the square look, so I modified the light bracket for these lights.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse9e37ba6.jpg

E-mail me, and I'll give you the wiring diagram, install photos, etc.

I am very interested in this! Can you email it all to polarisn1@hotmail.com? I don't know how to email you since you didn't include your address.
Also, did you start with the slp kit and add your own housing? Is it a removable light bulb or sealed?
It looks great!
Was the wiring already in your car? What switch did you use?
Thanks,
Cody
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the email! I have responded

While Im waiting, anyone else with ideas or info about these SLP lights? Are they sealed beam?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM

I have two sets and yes they are sealed.... I believe this set is the same they are selling on e-bay.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Klie
I have two sets and yes they are sealed.... I believe this set is the same they are selling on e-bay.

Ok, that proves the sealed beam issue.

How bright are they? Do they do the job well? Are they 35w or 55w?

I do apologize for all the questions, but I do want to make the best informed decision.

Did you install them yourself or did they come on your car? If you installed them, did you use the factory wiring?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Brightness i can't help you with, both sets i have are new in the box. Looking at the gauge of wire i would say they are 35w. No where on the lens or brackets does it say made in USA or China. The factory bracket on my z28 say made in USA and the fog light is made in Taiwan.
The two pair of fog lights i have never came with instructions for installation. The box they are in say in marker- slp fog lights 93 to 97 firebird only
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Brightness i can't help you with, both sets i have are new in the box. Looking at the gauge of wire i would say they are 35w. No where on the lens or brackets does it say made in USA or China. The factory bracket on my z28 say made in USA and the fog light is made in Taiwan.
The two pair of fog lights i have never came with instructions for installation. The box they are in say in marker- slp fog lights 93 to 97 firebird only
Fair enough! Are you planning on using both sets?
Thank you for the information, it is helpful. Do you think there would be any way to heat up the glue holding the bulbs in to insert HID's in the housing? Just curious.
It appears that this SLP kit is the only kit available for purchase to even get the mounting brackets...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM

No I'm not using both sets, I picked up a bunch of parts and they were in the bundle. I'll compare the brackets with the set I have from a z28. If you only need the brackets I would try and use a set from a z. I'll look and see if they will work tomorrow. I just bought a 95 formula tonight so I can also see how they will bolt up.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM

No I'm not using both sets, I picked up a bunch of parts and they were in the bundle. I'll compare the brackets with the set I have from a z28. If you only need the brackets I would try and use a set from a z. I'll look and see if they will work tomorrow. I just bought a 95 formula tonight so I can also see how they will bolt up.

Thanks for the info!

I dont think the Z brackets would work, as it is a completely different bumper and different location?

I would appreciate it if you could compare them though and let me know.
Are both of the sets new and never installed?
Also, if you're not going to use a set, I'd possibly be interested in relieving you of ownership of a set.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
I dont think the Z brackets would work, as it is a completely different bumper and different location?
I have a pair of 93-97 Camaro fogs - will not work.

The SLP lamps & brackets are the best. The SLP lamps are NOT Camaro lamps BTW.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by FirebirdGT
I have a pair of 93-97 Camaro fogs - will not work.

The SLP lamps & brackets are the best. The SLP lamps are NOT Camaro lamps BTW.

Thanks for chiming in, Rob. That settles that then! haha.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 PM

Hey Guys,

I found these little article on google and it made me sign up to find out more info haha.

I have a 1997 firebird with the SLP/w68 Fog lights. The lights in both of them are melted (they were H3 55w bulbs) and I might as well replace the whole assembly.

I want to be able to use the wiring harness that came with the car however, the harness/assembly I saw on ebay seems to have round harness pins while the ones on mine are flat. What would be your guys recommendation? also FirebirdGT I like your fog lights could you forward the info/wiring diagram/photos you emailed to the OP.

Thank You,
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by krime922
I have a 1997 firebird with the SLP/w68 Fog lights. The lights in both of them are melted (they were H3 55w bulbs) and I might as well replace the whole assembly.

also FirebirdGT I like your fog lights could you forward the info/wiring diagram/photos you emailed to the OP.

Thank You,
The W68 (on a V6) and the Firehawk fog lights are NOT the same thing, are mounted differently.

Will e-mail diagrams.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 PM

Were the W68 and slp headlights both rectangle? I am having such a difficult time finding out which I have and getting one that will work with the original wiring harness.

I will upload a photo to show the harness and style I have in a few mins

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with knowledge about 93-97 Formula Firehawk SLP fog lights?