Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anyone know where I can get some clear headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Anyone know where I can get some clear headlights?

Specifically looking for a stock sized housing that is totally clear on the front (all for a 93-97 Camaro), not like the stock ones that have lines or small engraved parts in the glass.

Anyone know where I could find these?

If I can't find them, I would settle for anyone who knows where I could get a totally clear sized housing to go where the stock headlight fit with extreme small adjustments to the stock bracketry (no cutting of the bumper or anything).

Last edited by CALL911; 04-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 PM

I haven't seen any like this yet. A lot of trucks use fog lights the same size as our headlights, so you could try researching that.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I haven't seen any like this yet. A lot of trucks use fog lights the same size as our headlights, so you could try researching that.
Thats a really good point. IIRC the '03-'06 chev trucks use a light that is about the same size as our headlights and gives off a ton of light. Have you met one of those trucks? Their fogs will blind you everytime. The only problem that I would see is the shape of the back of them and they might not be a direct bolt in.

What are some other cars or trucks that have fogs about the size of our headlights?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:46 AM

Ok the chevy truck ones won't work but here are some S10 extreme fogs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM

You know how most of us buy our headlights at Autozone? Well, give them a call and see what other cars it lists that bulb for. Surely they wouldn't stock them for only Camaros.

I remember an article back in 1993 that said that the Camaro ran the smallest halogen headlamp bulb made to that point. Interesting info, but not very useful. lol
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM

You know how most of us buy our headlights at Autozone? Well, give them a call and see what other cars it lists that bulb for. Surely they wouldn't stock them for only Camaros.

I remember an article back in 1993 that said that the Camaro ran the smallest halogen headlamp bulb made to that point. Interesting info, but not very useful. lol
What would that do for finding a different housing though? I think that the '93-'96 Grand Prixs used a headlight similar to the Camaros.

I think that the fog lights for the S10 extremes would be close to the same size as the headlights for the Camaros, but they would use a smaller bulb that wouldn't give the light output of the 9006s or the 9005s that our cars already have, but its a different headlight option that is more clear than the lenses that we have.

I'm going to keep looking and see what I can find, but a housing that is the same size and has a removeable bulb would be nice, but if your using it to modify it and add a projector the removeable bulb and lower output bulb wouldn't really matter.

Good luck Call911, I'll be following this one for sure
Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM

Well, just like Focustech focused almost exclusively on Impalas, other companies may already HAVE the headlight Call911 is wanting made. So the first step would be: call Autozone, say you need a headlight for a '95 Camaro, they look it up, ask them what other cars their system says use that bulb, and then get off the phone and start researching like crazy on ebay, google, etc. until you find something usable.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Brangeta, turnin20s is right, I don't need a similar bulb, just the same sized housing. We are going to be modifying the rear of the housing to fit the projector inside. The projector will have its own slot to insert its own bulb. But that is all further down the road for this project to work.

First we need to find a clear front housing. Anyone figure out if a certain year truck fog lamp is the same size as the 93-97 Camaro headlight housing? More specifically, an aftermarket fog lamp that is the same size but totally clear?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by turnin20s
Ok the chevy truck ones won't work but here are some S10 extreme fogs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW...1%7C240%3A1318
Keep in mind that these have the same lines in the front as the stock Camaro headlights do. I need something totally clear.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM

This guy made some. Looks like a lot of work, and isn't something I like.
http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...or-conversion/

I don't know anything about projectors, but if they get hot like halogen, I don't think those would last.

This could help:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...hs-rumors.html
Old 04-08-2009, 07:09 PM

This guy made some. Looks like a lot of work, and isn't something I like.
http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...or-conversion/

I don't know anything about projectors, but if they get hot like halogen, I don't think those would last.

This could help:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...hs-rumors.html

Both good write ups, but yeah, I've already seen them. The first one the guy did a great job, but he custom made the front of the lenses. Now, this is something I could probably do for myself, but we are trying to mass make something for everyone here, so making custom vacuum heated front lenses in mass quantities would definatly NOT be an option.

We need to just find a clear front glass piece that is on the front of a headlight housing the same (or very close to the same) as a 93-97 Camaro.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM

Yeah I guess that the S10 fogs do have alot of lines in them. I thought it was just the "chrome" that was textured.

Attempting something like in the first link with the custom molded lenses would be badass, but I bet it would be really hard to do too. And I would have probably done the part he did black in silver or chrome to make it not look so obvious.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll at least get a lowbeam HID kit to get a little more light then do the highs and try to figure out something for a good cutoff, but if they are really bright I may not worry about the projectors in the low beams.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:44 AM

Like I said, I can't/won't be doing a custom molding like he did. For mass production, its just too much work. I need something clear.

I have HID's for my low beams, and they are bright. But going through stock housings the light goes everywhere. I am lucky no one flashes me on a regular basis and I don't get pulled over. Others were not so lucky. When I ride in cars that have the HID projector combo, I am amazed as the light is focused and crystal clear with a sharp cutoff.

Still in search for the clear housing, anyone?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Like I said, I can't/won't be doing a custom molding like he did. For mass production, its just too much work. I need something clear.

I have HID's for my low beams, and they are bright. But going through stock housings the light goes everywhere. I am lucky no one flashes me on a regular basis and I don't get pulled over. Others were not so lucky. When I ride in cars that have the HID projector combo, I am amazed as the light is focused and crystal clear with a sharp cutoff.

Still in search for the clear housing, anyone?
Yeah I hear ya on too much work for mass production, but for someone with the ambision could do it for themselves. I personally don't mond if the light is blinding, there are guys around here that run offroad lights as their fog lights and don't get messed with. There are also a handful of guys that run 2 or 3 sets of foglights along with the headlights and stock fogs making 6-8 lights on all the time and I have never seen them pulled over and they have been like that for a while, 1 I know has 6 lights on at once all the time at night for more than 2 years.

I'm not saying that I want 6 lights on at once on my car, but if the lights are bright I'm personally not worried about getting flashed or pulled over, plus how are they going to know that you have HIDs unless you tell them or let them search your car.

But I'm still searching for a light that is the same size and clear, but I'm not having much luck I wish I could help you out more, I'd really like to see a clean looking brighter light
Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Shape is off a little on these and I'm not sure about the size but its closer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

Kinda expensive to cut up and not exactly a clear lense and I'm sure its too big
http://offroadwarehouse.com/products.../productID/864

CALL911 do you know the measurements of the stock lights? My car isn't with me and I don't know the exact measurement. Thanks

Last edited by turnin20s; 04-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know where I can get some clear headlights?