Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Anybody else like looking stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Anybody else like looking stock?

Just wondering if there is anyone out there like me, or am I just a freak? I like to look stock so people don't know what's coming, plus I don't really understand spending tons of money on new comestic parts that really do nothing (other than look good). Thanks!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Seek help. You are a freak.

Really though, IMO, the only reason to look stock is for the SERIOUS street racer... not like $20 but up there in the serious $$$. And even then, usually your opponent will be smart enough to know that if your car looks fast it doesn't mean that it is or if it looks like a pile of junk yet you are willing to spend some serious cashola on a race there must be something to it

Stock is boring... nuff said

Last edited by Brent94Z; 05-18-2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:46 PM

looking/sounding good is just as important as going fast to me. Lets face it, i do more cruising than i do racing
Old 05-18-2004, 11:11 PM

Well first off, I think that overall, our cars look AMAZING "stock", especially the rearview and frontview... considering that the design hardly changed from 93-97 And the design was WAY ahead of it's time I still admire every clean F-Body I see cruising...

But when viewed from the side, F-Bodies leave alot to be desired in the style department, especially compared to the :gasp: VETTE

- The wheelwell (wheelgap) is IMMENSE compared to almost any other muscle / sports car, and the 16's are just begging to be replaced off the showroom floor. I believe the camaro could have sold better with 17/18 better looking wheels "stock" on both the Z28 and SS models.

- The front, LMAO... the front end is just begging to be lowered, and it just doesn't look right at the "stock" rideheight.

- The rear looks good when viewed directly from the back, but come on... when viewed from the side, it lacks aggressiveness.

- The wheel OFFSET is a damn shame. It is one of the worst design flaws of all. Look down the side of any "stock" F-Body and notice how the wheels are hidden 2 inches within the fender... WTF ?

- The stock rideheight ... enough said I think

- The stock headlights are just plain unsafe and boring.. enough said

- The long shape, and nose... the nose of the car points upwards and doesn't follow the otherwise aggresive lines of the car. The stock F-Body is screaming for some ground effects to make it more balanced (because it is so long and wide). But again, without bigger wheels, this is not the way to go.. everything has to balance out
Old 05-19-2004, 12:11 AM

My car looks stock untill you pop open the engine & then its all bolt ons for now. wait until next year if I have the money. Out side & in side of the car will always look stock.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:44 AM

Stock cars do not catch my eye. I like people to be different, then again, they can look stock and sound amazing and that will definately catch my attention.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:21 PM

I like stock I'm just making my car the way it shoulda came from the factory "stock"

I know I got my *** beat foxbody that looked like it was falling apart when I first got my car
Old 05-20-2004, 05:35 PM

I like the stock look. Nothing scares me more than a totally stock looking car whose blower whines louder than my exhaust at idle. (See: 1LEThumper's car). I'm not a big fan of the let-everything-else-fall-apart-but-the-engine mentality... I like a clean, well-kept stock exterior.

I really wish salad shooters were 17" wheels so I could sneak 13" Stoptechs underneath them.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:14 PM

Signature pretty much says it all. The GMPP spoiler was just enough to emphasis the wedge look and make the front end appear visually to be lower without it really being lower. The SLP grill put back some of that mean and evil look of the LT1 cars. The 17' and KD's help with the side view some. Anyway, it will never be mistaken for a Camry.

PJ
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 PM

Re:

The only way I would keep my car stock is if I have some major horsepower. IMO I like my car to be different. For example you see stock cars all the time on the road there a dime a dozen. But when you see a car with ground effects, cowl hood, chrome rims, etc. It draws attention. PLUS the only way I would keep my car stock is also if I wanted to sell it. But like I said, The only way I would keep my car stock looking is if I was pushing 500 - 700 horsepower under the hood. -
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 PM

Re:

The only way I would keep my car stock is if I have some major horsepower. IMO I like my car to be different. For example you see stock cars all the time on the road there a dime a dozen. But when you see a car with ground effects, cowl hood, chrome rims, etc. It draws attention. PLUS the only way I would keep my car stock is also if I wanted to sell it. But like I said, The only way I would keep my car stock looking is if I was pushing 500 - 700 horsepower under the hood. -
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 PM

Whats with this double posting stuff?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:19 PM

He clicked "sumbit reply" twice apparently
Old 05-20-2004, 10:31 PM

I like a "nearly" stock look. So far, all I've invested into the appearance of my car has been $350, which was for the stripes. That's all I ever plan on doing, except for maybe a set of 17" or 18" rims one day, but nothing "flashy" when it comes to rims.

While the stock ride-height looks too high when the car is parked, it's already too low for me for driving around. I drove my buddy's '96 T/A that's lowered with 35-series 18's on it, and it is WAY too rough riding for me!

I like having the GFX on my car though. They set off the looks of the car nicely compared to a plain Z28. Otherwise, I like the subtle "stock" appearance. It's more about the performance for me.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:31 PM

In my opinion, I like looking stock not as much as my personal choice, but because money is kind of limited right now, so I'd rather have all of mine go into performance and getting it running. Probably down the road I'll do some minor appearance upgrades, but nothing over the top, because I agree with the other guy, these cars look badass stock...the more you add, the more it looks like a Civic on steroids.

Quick Reply: Anybody else like looking stock?