Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Am I Going Crazy..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 PM

Am I Going Crazy..?

I know this isn't really appearance, but there isn't an "interior" forum.

..I was driving home tonight, and i went to flip on the map light in the bottom of the mirror for the drivers side, and it wouldn't come on, so i'm thinking, great a dead bulb, so i flip the one on the passenger side and it came on. I reached over the turned on the dome light from the dash switch, and they both came on. So i'm like hmm.. So after i get home, i pull up in the driveway and park, and flip the switch on the mirror, and sure enough it comes on, so i put it in reverse, and it won't come on. Am i crazy, or did GM go through alot of trouble to keep me from turning on the light? It just doesn't make sense. I don't have an owners manual, so i can't look and see if its supposed to be this way. Has anyone else noticed this?

Also on a seperate tangent, the light on the dash for the parking brake, doesn't light up anyone when i pull up the brake, but when i start the car and all the lights run the diagnotic test on the dash, it does come on. Its obvious when i park in the driveway that the brake works, i'm just wondering whats wrong, and how i should fix it.

Thanks, y'all..

[yes i'm from the south].
Old 08-20-2003, 12:04 PM

Nobody elses car does this? So you all think i'm crazy or something?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:37 PM

maybe the driverside lamp has something to do with saftey? if its in a certain gear it wont work or something. what year is your car? i knwo my 93 doesnt do this though. as for the brake light i think theres a sensor when you take the centre console apart, at the parking brake lever.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:08 AM

My car is a 96. I didn't think GM started getting all safety oriented until 97, hmm.. Anyway i'lll look up under the console and see if i find something. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:37 AM

I think you are just going crazy - or your car is one.

You might want to just check the wiring out where you can get to it - see if there's something rubbing something else (at the connections, etc.) The console are would be a good place to start. Easiest way to get into it (in case you don't know) is just pop off the shifter **** and pull the cover off.