Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Aftermarket steel hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Aftermarket steel hoods?

I currently have a fiberglass SS style hood...and I hate it. I've been looking for a few days now and I can't find any steel aftermarket hoods. I'd really like to find a steel cowl hood.

Does anyone know if or where I can find one?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Aftermarket steel hoods?

Do you hate it specifically because it's fiberglass? Or is it just shoddy construction?

I don't know of any aftermarket steel hoods (but I've never looked). Perhaps you can get a stock hood and modify it (or have a skilled bodyshop guy modify it for you).
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Well mostly because of the poor fitment/cracking of this one and numerous others I've seen. I'm not set on only steel, but I'd just prefer it. It seems like it isn't an option though unless I fab up a modified stock hood That could be an interesting project.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by bowtieboy95
Well mostly because of the poor fitment/cracking of this one and numerous others I've seen. I'm not set on only steel, but I'd just prefer it. It seems like it isn't an option though unless I fab up a modified stock hood That could be an interesting project.
I would look for a better quality Fiberglass hood.... The weight savings alone is worth it

I highly doubt you'll find any Steel replacements beyond stock anyways
Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM

I do appreciate the weight difference of fiberglass and it seems thats the way I'm going to have to go.

I seen another guy post something about the eBay seller "Hoods4Sale" they have one I like for the cheapest I'm wondering what the quality is like on them?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM

No offence but it sounds like you want to replace your current "cheap" fiberglass hood with another "cheap" fiberglass hood (Hoods4sale). The problem is NOT the fiberglass, but with the poor workmanship. Cheap hoods *usually* have fitment issues OR require a lot of prep work. They are also not consistant. That company "might" produce one decent fitting hood, and the next 9 won't fit flush with the fenders, the gaps won't be evenly spaced, or something. I bought a ZL-1 style hood from DG Motorsport, which are not cheap, but require hardly any prep work and has NO alignment issues. I personally would rather have a stock hood than a poor fitting aftermarket hood. I would suggest saving your $$$ until you can get a quality hood. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by shosovr; 03-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM

VFN Fiberglass has stock looking flat hoods for $399.... They're very reputable and that's fairly "Cheap".

If it's a Cowl or "Sunoco" Style they have those as well.

Either way go with a reputable Fiberglass Hood manufacturer... My Harwood was more expensive than VFN but either company is tried and true for fitment and would be my suggestion.....
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with the "you get what you pay for" for aftermarket hoods. I was only wondering about that seller as I'd never heard of them I certainly didn't think they would produce a better quality product than harwood or vfn at their prices.

I'll be purchasing one soon as my motor is just about finished and it'll then be time for paint. Once I've got it all finished I'll make a build thread and show the results of everything.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 PM

Side note: I can't believe Cervinis doesn't make any hoods for LT or LS camaros I had one on my 89 LX and loved it.