Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

aerodynamics...help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:31 PM

aerodynamics...help please

in your guys opinions which body kit, wing, and hood combination has the best aerodynamics for 98+ camaro's? im looking for something that will give me 50% downforce on the front of the car and 50% on the rear. the car will mainly be for street/strip use. ive been told that the rksport body kit in combination with the 3 peice 5 inch rise spoiler (similair to nascar's spoiler) is the best combo. what do you guys think?
Old 08-05-2003, 12:00 AM

can anyone help???
Old 08-05-2003, 12:57 AM

i would think stock body would have better aerodynamics, but just lower the car
Old 08-05-2003, 09:22 AM

what about more downforce on the rear?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:11 AM

Well....I guess I will chime in, even though it will turn into a flame war, but I am used to it on here by now so here goes. The only real things that I can think of are the basic suspension upgrade. I don't know of any ground FX that would help, but I do have the Commando Wing on mine. What I have witnessed from tests is that the car is more stable feeling in the back with the wing on from speeds of 120+ From speeds below that there is nothing that felt different about it. The wing is mainly appearance but does work at high speeds. Now the extra weight kinda kills things, but it looks better then a bolt on aluminum wing IMO. I bought the wing because I like it (and I pay the payments), not because it is functional. You might want to look into a mecham wing, which resembles the 3 piece but a lot bigger. But most people on this board hate any appearance mod done to the back of these cars, and will feel the need to tell you about it, on post that you post on that have nothing to do with it (check Iraq pics in the lounge for an example). Just the immaturity of some posters I guess. Anyway, if you ever want to see it in person then drop me a PM. I usually stay in the University/concord area, or Huntersville!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 AM

thanx for the reply man. nice car by the way, i do like that wing, ive had that one in mind also. heres the other wing i am looking at... http://www.lmperformance.com/1051/1.html i think this one will give me the most rear downforce in the rear. i do plan on lowering the front end a little, but i wanted a front fascia spoiler that will give me the most downforce on the front, and i think that the rpsort front spoiler will give me that better than other body kits out there. but what i really want to know is how can i achieve 50% downforce on the front as well as the rear, and how can i calculate or figure out what i have??
Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 AM

If you want real downforce you will have to use what the racers are using. As far as I know the only two approved and proven kits in SCCA World-challenge are one from RK Sport (i don't know which one) and the ZR28 kit by LG Motorsports. If you wanted a real wing to go with it, they use HP motorsports, HPM-9004 or HPM-9005.