Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

90 mm Hella Low Beams are in!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 PM

90 mm Hella Low Beams are in!

pics here
Its not an easy project, took a lot of measuring and thinking and cutting metal and measuring and thinking and cutting metal, but now its done and the results are well worth it. Its so bright with the FF75 driving lights, I don't know why I even need the 90 mm high beams, but I'll put 'em in anyway since I have them. Thanks to Sam95Znotop and Z28nut who gave me the inspiration.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 90 mm Hella Low Beams are in!

Very Nice!!! I'm considering switching my PIAA setup to those. Hmm...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:02 AM

I love the look of those lights but they just require way to much butchery to put in. I like my FF75's they look stock and i can go back to stock in about an hr or so.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:58 AM

nice setup, I like the way you did the 90mm. I bought the brackets that go with the lights but I wasn't able to use them. I even trimmed a lot of the plastic off the stock assembly, but there wasn't enough clearance. It looks like you basically took all of the top of the plastic off...is that right? DId you screw down the lower bracket that you made into the bumper?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:36 AM

Here's a pic of how much of the plastic headlight mounting frame I had to cut away to clear the lamp and bracket. Not a big deal, took only a few minutes with a Dremel and a cutting wheel (use the big black heavy duty ones, not the smaller red ones) and a file to clean it up. It was also necessary to enlarge the hole behind the lamp to make clearance for the plug. You can also see the mounting screws {1/4 x 20, 3/4" long, 1" washers and nylon lock nuts on the bottom side) that hold the angle aluminum bracket to the car.
Also notice that I had to shorten the lamp adjusting screws, again with the Dremel and cutoff wheel. I cut them to 35 mm long.
I think I'm going to make a second upper support to stabilize the mounting bracket at the top because the steel mount that surrounds the lamp is kind of flimsy. Although it doesn't seem to be a problem with vibration or anything, it is sort of flexy and a little more support couldn't hurt.
If you use Susquehana's steel brackets you will see that its hard to get the little black plastic adjuster socket thingies through the holes. The way I figured out to do it was like this: with the adjuster already snapped in to the socket, wrap a zip tie around the "flange" of the socket and tighten it as much as possible so the flange is fully compressed, then force it through the hole in the bracket.
One more thing: the hole in the bracket is a bit tight around the lamp. I ran a file and the Dremel sanding drum around the inside of the opening to give the lamp a bit of room to allow for adjusting. Without that it kind of binds up and the flex in the bracket makes adjustments less effective.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 AM

One more tip and then I'll shut up. Susquehana sells 9005 and 9006 male sockets with 6 inch wires on them. It makes wiring a snap. The Hella lamps come with sockets. Wire them up to the 9005/6 sockets and it all plugs together real easy.
Yeah, I know there will be higher voltage going direct to power through a relay but its still a big improvement.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:17 PM

thanx for the info. It's a real clean looking install. When I upgraded the 90mm to HIDs i reinstalled them and I trimmed most of the top off too, but I left maybe a 1/4 inch on top so the back of the light pushes up against it...but it made installing the lights so much harder. I also had to modify the adjusting screws to get them to work in my setup....i think i cut the little round end off (the part that goes in the black plastic socket thing) so they are just real long screws, and I used the plastic nuts that came with the lights as adjusters.
I haven't had any problems with vibration or anything...or movement over bumps (my suspension is real stiff) I've had them in since the begining of summer like this now, and so far no problems. If you make a new upper bracket, be sure to post some pics!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:32 PM

Upper brace
Its not painted yet. I ran out of time. But its much more stable than before.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:19 PM

Very nice, clean install. You didn't cut out near as much as I did and your install looks so much better than mine. Great job on the install pics, too.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:04 PM

very nice, what did you make that upper support out of?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:33 PM

Its made with about a 1 1/2 inch length of 1" x 1" angle aluminum, a piece of 5/16" aluminum tube, a 1/4 x 20 screw and nylon locknut holding the angle to the frame and a long 6 mm screw going through the tube with a nylon locknut on the other end.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 AM

i have the Hellas with HIDS and i love them!!!!!!!!
looks good
Old 03-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Maybe I am not up to date, but those lights look like high beams! You are using those for low beam? Or is there a low beam reflector version? Very nice install though!!

I currently modifying my low beam projector 90mm's (H9) to D2S. Getting close to finishing it... Actually I had them in, but I wasn't satisfied with the beam pattern, so I am tweaking it a little bit...

I also have a pair of FF75 driving lights with 100W bulbs that I will mount in place of the fogs and wire them to come on with the high beams. With the HID low beams I won't be needing the fogs anyways and this way I should have PLENTY of high beam light!

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 03-07-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:16 PM

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/hel...mm%20Front.jpg
boy am I dumb
I'll get fixed ASAP
Old 05-08-2005, 08:11 AM

Did you ever get your low beam's to fit ? If so, could you upload those photos again ?

Also, are they the H9 or the H7 ?

Quick Reply: 90 mm Hella Low Beams are in!