Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 08:48 PM

~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber

Well my 95 Z28s dash top, that big long piece between you and the hood that bakes in the sun, finally broke. I about choked when I found out new ones are $190.00!!! I used to work at a fiberglass shop (also did some carbon fiber work) and am comsidering fabricating a carbon fiber replacement w/ a u-v resistant resin. I plan on doing mine in raw black carbon fiber to reduce glare but could also do them in fully finished version. Would there be any interest in a production version of this? Should I include guage pods, under-resin dress-up (like a brushed aluminum Z28 or SS emblem), anything else?
Just for info, I would be using a high plastomer-content resin (laymen: it bends without cracking) with plenty of uv protectant, a pretty tight woven carbon fiber, some sort of bracing on the back and bond-on plastic connectors to fit it to the original factory clips.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:34 PM

HELL YEA MAN SOUNDS REALLY COOL.. VERY CLASSY
Old 11-19-2002, 11:03 PM

I would buy that and a full piller gauge pod with three spots for
a 95 z with T-Tops
but seriously later on if you start making this stuff i want to get that stuff above and other misc. interior parts
Old 11-20-2002, 01:15 AM

That would be very unique. I would DEFINATELY be interested. After I see pics of course. I've already got a full pillar but I would still take the dash assembly. Look into it a report back. Great idea!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:21 AM

i was considering doing something like that a few months ago, but using a carbonfiber/red kevlar hybrid. but i didnt want to sell them , i wanted to be the only person with it. probabbly would have done it if i had time, and space to work on it.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:44 AM

Hell yeah dude! That'd be sweet. I think you hit it dead on with the color scheme material, coat, etc. Of course I have a Black T/A so I'd want the interior to match the exterior. Any plans to do the same for any other parts of the interior that might need replacing?
(Panels on the doors, power operated etc.)
Old 11-20-2002, 10:12 AM

To get this rolling I need to find a workspace, which I think I can. The first thing I do will probably be the dash top, although I like the idea for the a-pillar too, since it would probably be fairly easy to do. I'm also considering replacing the upper part of the doorskin w/ woven carbon fiber (no resin) that has a rubber bonding on the back to keep it all together. Raw carbon fiber is as smooth as silk. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold up to a lot of rubbing (i.e. doing seats in it) but it is strong enough to do door panels, shifter boots, etc. I'll keep you all informed, but for now I need to justify the cost of making a mold for the dashtop. I'll need 5 buyers in the $150 area before I can consider it. I'm not saying $$ up front, just 5 people w/ $$ in hand. They would of course get pics from the one-off I'm planning to do this winter. As for the person that wanted a "red quasi kevlar" setup, I could just use a lighter piece of carbon fiber and put red resin over it instead of clear or smoked resin
Old 11-20-2002, 10:49 AM

How do you get that area off.. Mine is broken too and I thought of just gluing it together for right now... Carbon fiber or black I would pay 100
Old 11-20-2002, 12:37 PM

It's like some kind of really hard velcro you just have to pull it off there are some snaps too
Old 11-20-2002, 02:28 PM

I personally would welcome a dash piece with the mentioned gauge pods in them. Like two or three right in the center in front of the defroster. Just a thought, but I'd buy that in a second if the price is right.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 PM

unfortunately the guage pods may present an problem in the center. The problem is that the way the A-pillars are, you have to "bow" the dash to get it in and out. Naturally the center is the most tensed piece. I'll have to measure the width and see what kind of stress will be placed on the center. I was actually thinking about replacing the vinyl part inbetween the pass. side airbag and the stereo/ac section (where the air ducts are on TAs w/ a guage pod set
Old 11-20-2002, 11:39 PM

Ok if the gauge pillars dont work how about the door panel part where the window switches are and door handle is?
Old 11-21-2002, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by LT1Brutus
As for the person that wanted a "red quasi kevlar" setup, I could just use a lighter piece of carbon fiber and put red resin over it instead of clear or smoked resin
No i dont want you to make it for me, it was just an idea i was throwing around in my spare time i was thinkin about using THIS
, i think it would look great
Old 11-21-2002, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by LT1Brutus
I'm also considering replacing the upper part of the doorskin w/ woven carbon fiber (no resin) that has a rubber bonding on the back to keep it all together. Raw carbon fiber is as smooth as silk.
HAVE YOU EVER HAD A CARBONFIBER SPLINTER?????? no resin, WTF, i might jsut be drunk right now , but wouldnt you be gettin splinters all the time if there was no resin
Old 11-21-2002, 06:17 AM

Can't you buy fake carbon fiber and just glue it over it?

Quick Reply: ~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber