Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

*NEW* updated pics of HID's on 97 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 04:16 PM

*NEW* updated pics of HID's on 97 Z28

Here are two new photos showing my Philips/Hella 6000K HID kit on my 97 30th Anniversary Z28. The second photo shows a comparison between my car with HID's and another identical 97 SS with stock halogens. Huge difference as you can see. Let me know what you think.

Just go to my webshots photo page and click under HID's. The last 2 photos are my new ones pics HID6 and HID7.

http://community.webshots.com/album/45966473YuwfZn

Last edited by JTS95TA; 09-15-2002 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 04:30 PM

Question

That looks sweet!! But, does anyone make a cheaper kit than the 6000k? $370 is a lot of money to spend on headlights...although I will say that it does seem to be worth it...just can't afford it.

Doesn't pu12en12g have the 5000k kit...is it cheaper or is there a difference?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:08 PM

No actually I have 5000k bulbs. YES the look (light temperature/color) is SIMILAR, HOWEVER the LIGHT OUTPUT (brightness/illumination) is not as good as the ballasts that JT has.

Between the 5000k and 6000k... picture the 5000k as the Lexus or Mercedez bluish white HID. Then picture the 6000k as the new BMW's with the PURPLE HID's... that is basically the comparison.

Here is my 5000k setup:
Old 09-15-2002, 05:28 PM

What about putting the ballasts that JT has with the 5000k bulbs that you(pu12en12g) have? Would that equal a less expensive kit, or do the bulbs make much of a difference?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-15-2002, 05:34 PM

Thumbs up

Looks good, but with the street lighting it doesn't show too much. I think it is to bad they still don't make a complete kit with a proper housing, since that is where 80% of most lighting issues is. I know you or someone stated that apparently they take into account the reflector distance for the bulbs (where other kits never did previously) to account for scatter and what not. Just imagine how much better they would be if they did design a housing for them as well.

Wish we could get a few of the various setup's together and take pictures on a "fixed" area like they did on the Catz site to illustrate the true differences.

Have any problems keeping the ballasts moisture free regarding where you mounted them? What about replacement parts? Are you limited only to the manufactuer to get them or can you go through distributors and at what cost?
Old 09-15-2002, 05:56 PM

I have a warranty on the both the Philips bulbs and the Hella ballasts. After the warranty is up since I am an existing customer bulbs only cost $65.00 for a pair which is only a fraction what they would cost at a dealership. All warranty and future purchases all come from the supplier not the manufacturer. I know what your saying how my housing is not made specifically for an HID capsule, however I was amazed at how well the beam pattern turned out. Trust me I was very iffy on doing this as I had a friend that installed HID's in a Cobra mustang and the pattern was horrible. Again, I think that has to do with him not getting the proper bulbs with correct base placement. My beam pattern is exactly like it was with a stock halogen bulb only many many times brighter as you can see in the picture I took last night. I do not have any problems with the ballasts and moisture. I have had no problems whatsoever with this setup and I highly recommend doing exactly what I have if you have the cash to spend. You will not be dissappointed.

P.S. I have had friends drive my car opposite ways on the road from me to see exactly what the light output looks like and it is no difference than a Bimmer. There is not too much glare as one would expect from a aftermarket kit. I was drooling when I saw them far down the road.
If anyone has anymore question feel free to ask.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 06:00 PM

Question one more question

What did the install involve? Was there much wiring to it?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 09-15-2002, 06:04 PM

Man i've got to get a set of those.I have a hard time see after
dark most of the time.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by silver97Z
What about putting the ballasts that JT has with the 5000k bulbs that you(pu12en12g) have? Would that equal a less expensive kit, or do the bulbs make much of a difference?

Thanks,

Brian
Nope, if you go with true HID, you have to do it all the way. $370 is NOT that much for a HID setup. (TO put it in perspective, JT's 6000k kit usually sells for around $1,000+)

Thanks to JT, we know where to get this kit for alot less now ! !
Old 09-15-2002, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by JTS95TA
...I highly recommend doing exactly what I have if you have the cash to spend. You will not be dissappointed.

Cool, thanks for the info. I have had the Piaa's already for a few years and been asked if if have HIDS before I have been side by side with many and couldn't tell any difference and had a better light pattern than a few. Just trying to get info for a future update of the lighting guide since I sometimes get questions on stuff i haven't heard about or seen yet.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:41 PM

Wraith,

I looked through your page about your PIAA light install. Those look very nice BTW. Even though I would still take HID's anyday over halogen lighting systems your setup looks great. I am curious, what type of bulbs do your PIAA projector housings take? The supplier I get my HID's from has just about any type of HID kit available from H1's to H4's and all 9000 series. Considering HID's are truely best in projector style housings, I would be VERY curious to see how good they look in your setup. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2002, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by JTS95TA
Wraith,

I looked through your page about your PIAA light install. Those look very nice BTW. Even though I would still take HID's anyday over halogen lighting systems your setup looks great. I am curious, what type of bulbs do your PIAA projector housings take? The supplier I get my HID's from has just about any type of HID kit available from H1's to H4's and all 9000 series. Considering HID's are truely best in projector style housings, I would be VERY curious to see how good they look in your setup. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
That is actually Brent's (Brent94Z) page he put together. Mine is the install at the bottom of that page, just a couple pics of the black car. He was nice enough to host my instructions on there since our mounting methods vary on the installs.

The Piaa lamp uses it's own bulb which the wires is built into the housing itself. So in order to run the HID bulb it would have to be cut then run through the housing and respliced. The Piaa lamp wires go into the housing, then form a base plate which makes contact with their bulb to provide illumination. This is part of their way to keep a weather tight system for the lamp itself.

I to would like to see an affordable kit with a proper housing. Back when installed these intially I wanted to put HID's. The only thing I had to work with that was complete (proper glass housing, ballasts, true xenon charged lamps) was the Piaa 930 which I could mount like I did the 1000x's. To bad they run about $1100 a pair. *Edit: Now do to the popularity of HID, I am guessing, they retail for $1400 pair!

After seeing that Brent successfully did his install, and at the time you could get both pair through CarParts.com for less than $230 shipped, I went that route. I was always wanting the Rytek kit, but they quit making them after I was almost convinced to drop the $600 asking price

Sylvania is coming out with more HID kits that include a glass lens housing for the lights. The closest they come so far is a 6x4 housing that I have seen.

Last edited by Wraith; 09-15-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:04 PM

where did you get that 6000K kit? and was it $370 for everything you need?

looks great man
Old 09-16-2002, 04:20 PM

I think the price went up to $390 plus shipping now, however that is still by far the best deal you can get especially considering this kit only comes with the best parts available for HID's. P.S. I highly recommend buying new H4351 glass sealed beam housings when you do the install as older ones tend to not be as clear. This is just so you get the best results. E-mail me on purchasing info @ JTS90SC@AOL.COM
Old 09-30-2002, 12:18 AM

Wow has anyone seen the new 9000k HID kits ? HOLY **** ! ! ! They are crazy lookin ! !

Quick Reply: *NEW* updated pics of HID's on 97 Z28