Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

$1.27 !grille mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 PM

Lightbulb $1.27 !grille mod

For any of you interested in a cheap grille mod for the '98-'02s, it only takes a small amount of your choice of aluminum/stainless steel etc mesh, and some metal snips, and the nerve to rip the rubbery plasticky grille off the front end. The only thing I don't like is a few bolt holes left (see pics). I may fill those in later and repaint the whole nose once it needs it. Personally, for a whole $1.27, I think it looks better than stock, and I can always install a $200 aftermarket grille later if need be. (Anyway, cheap mod if you're bored on a weekend)

I also just posted a pic on the MoBlog link (Top of Appearance Section).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...14304176fxiduv

http://community.webshots.com/user/guess1118

Last edited by guess1; 01-27-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:46 PM

I think just about everyone has tried that, it looks pretty good on your black car and everybody thinks it looks good on first impression, I kept mine like that for about 3 months and put the stock grill back on, I now think the stocker looks better on my car, plus state law requires a plate.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:00 PM

I like it alot.

I actually told my grill-less friend with an '00 Z28 to do the exact same thing a few months ago, but he never did. I'll have to send him here.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the pics.

I think that looks pretty good. I just may do that. I have to take the grille off my car because I no longer need my front plates but don't have the money for the grille I want yet. I think it looks better like that than stock.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 PM

Cool

Well, it's something to do if you're bored, want an inexpensive cosmetic mod etc. I'm sure lots of others have done the same thing......I was just surprised to be able to change the appearance for so cheap and so little work. (GA will probably change our tag laws to require those cursed front tags now.....that would be my luck

Later,
Jeff
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Jilly
Thanks for the pics.

I think that looks pretty good. I just may do that. I have to take the grille off my car because I no longer need my front plates but don't have the money for the grille I want yet. I think it looks better like that than stock.
Thanks!
I broke 2 of the upper tabs pulling mine off....those retaining clips are tough, but I don't think I'll be putting it back on anyway...

BTW, nice car you have there!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:02 PM

that looks good but the only problem is the holes from where the grill was mounted....
Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by blackbirdta
that looks good but the only problem is the holes from where the grill was mounted....
Aaah, I didn't see that the first time. I don't think it would be as noticeable on a black car as it would on mine. That sucks.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by guess1
Thanks!
I broke 2 of the upper tabs pulling mine off....those retaining clips are tough, but I don't think I'll be putting it back on anyway...

BTW, nice car you have there!
Was it hard to get the grille off?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Jilly
Was it hard to get the grille off?

Thanks.
Yeah...it's a stubborn s.o.b. Like guess1, when I removed the grill, it was in no condition to be remounted.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by SSpdDmon
Yeah...it's a stubborn s.o.b. Like guess1, when I removed the grill, it was in no condition to be remounted.
So if I take it off, I better make sure I want to keep it off?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:09 PM

Yeah, pretty much, the hardest stud to break is the top center one, I took mine off but now i have it back on, it's not as secure as it was new but what I did was heated up the studs and hooked them so now the grill sort of hangs on the front, plus the clips help hold it in, I've had no problems but it will come right off if I pull on it upwards and wiggle it just right. When i was putting it back on I asked myself why the designers just didn't put another set of clips on, why did they do this BS with studs and nuts? I guess when they were doing the redesign they ran short on time and just kept it simple.

Last edited by WhoBetter?; 01-30-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by guess1
Well, it's something to do if you're bored, want an inexpensive cosmetic mod etc. I'm sure lots of others have done the same thing......I was just surprised to be able to change the appearance for so cheap and so little work. (GA will probably change our tag laws to require those cursed front tags now.....that would be my luck

Later,
Jeff

Dont say that lol!!! If GA made a front tag law I would go crazy having to put an ugly tag on the front. Nice mod though, I was at Home depot thinkin the same thing the other day. I'll probably go with a carbon fiber or billet grill (have'nt made up my mind yet). Man you outta come down to Atlanta one weekend, I've already seen two 98-02 camaros on dub spinners. These boys are tryin to come hard now!! In the A, you have to do something major to be considered comp. Just gettin 20's aint gonna cut it these days. Main spot to cruise is Buckhead, main place to race is every highway and street availible lol.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:47 PM

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the...&.dnm=ff2a.jpg

This is a pic of the front-end with the holes filled.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Dark Angel
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the...&.dnm=ff2a.jpg

This is a pic of the front-end with the holes filled.
How'd you go about filling the holes?

Quick Reply: $1.27 !grille mod