42" HDTV $600 in IL.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:32 AM

42" HDTV $600 in IL.

I'm selling my Toshiba 42" HDTV Flat Screen Projection. It is 18 months old this month and is in mint condtion and works great. I bought it in August 2004 from Best Buy for $1,200 plus $200 for the service plan. It has never been brought in for service and is still my main tv in my living room. If you are interested I live in Romeoville Illinois and the tv is still set up in my living room. The only reason I am selling it is because I want the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV. My price is $600 firm. If you are interested in seeing it, my # is 815-557-9750 and ask for Duke.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Re: 42" HDTV $600 in IL.

a buddy i work with said dont get the edtv go ahead and get the hdtv. you'll get a whole lot better picture.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM

i wish you weren't so far away, I'd take that in a second.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

If I didn't already have one, I'd drive out an get it because that's a good price.

Question for the other guys reading this thread: Is the service contract transferable?

Oh and... ^bump^
Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Durbn4duke
I'm selling my Toshiba 42" HDTV Flat Screen Projection. It is 18 months old this month and is in mint condtion and works great. I bought it in August 2004 from Best Buy for $1,200 plus $200 for the service plan. It has never been brought in for service and is still my main tv in my living room. If you are interested I live in Romeoville Illinois and the tv is still set up in my living room. The only reason I am selling it is because I want the Panasonic 42" Plasma EDTV. My price is $600 firm. If you are interested in seeing it, my # is 815-557-9750 and ask for Duke.
PM Sent.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Um, you're switching from projection to plasma, and from HD to ED, and not moving up in size?

You are going to be sorely disappointed, especially in 18 months when your plasma is dead and the majority of television stations are broadcasting in HD.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 PM

why would his plasma be dead in 18 months??

brook
Old 02-23-2006, 11:29 AM

The plasma will not be dead in 18months, although they do have shorter life spans than most other televisions and are rediculously expensive to fix and are prone to burn in of static images.

ED will NOT give you High Definition. If you are in the market for a new television you cannot go wrong with a LCD. They are the only type that has the new 1080p(progressive scan) they will not burn in and are comparably priced to plasma.

If you dont know the difference interlaced is like basket weaving, lines going across and up and down. Progressive is like using a paint roller on the screen creating a much smoother picture.

My credentials are I am a certified Lvl 3 Technician at Dish Network, I also train many of the new employees on our systems.

EDIT: Most tv stations will not be broadcasting in HD in the next year. Who ever told you this is dead wrong. Im not here to sell dish by no means but we have the largest lineup of HD channels and we are at 25. Experts expect most houses to have at least 1 HD tv in their homes by 2011.

Funny thing though is that cable doesnt even broadcast in 1080i, they upconvert most of the programming to 720p. Just food for thought.

Last edited by Demon's Camaro; 02-23-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have been told to expect a plasma TV to last for a bit less than two years, on average. Phosphor dissipation or something. In my case, that means I'd only bet on 18 months. I've heard that they have made some improvements recently, but even if my numbers are way off the mark, I don't hear anyone criticizing the lifespan of the other technologies, which means that plasma still falls short.

The basket weave vs. paint roller analogy is pretty poorly conceived. I don't really think an analogy is necessary -- the truth is pretty straightforward. An interlaced picture is drawn in two passes: the first pass draws the first, third, fifth, etc. lines, all the way down the screen, and then makes a second pass to fill in the second, fourth, sixth, and so on. A progressive picture is drawn in a single pass which draws all of the lines in sequence. If someone doesn't understand that, just tell them that progressive scan gives a more crisp image, especially when there is a lot of motion on the screen.

I'm betting that, outside of other Dish Network employees, your Level 3 Technician certificate doesn't mean jack to anyone. I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about -- just that those are hardly worthwhile credentials in the real world. I'm sure you can set up a Dish Network system with the best of them.

Congress passed a law stating that all over-the-air broadcasts have to be digital by the end of 2006, and that all analog broadcasts must be shut off at that time (the FCC is going to redistribute the frequency allocations currently used by analog TV). The deadline was originally May 1, 2002, but only about 1/4 of the nation's 1200-ish broadcast television stations met that deadline. AFAIK, the 2006 deadline still stands, although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was in jeopardy at this point.

My cable (Comcast) broadcasts the HD channels in 1080i or 720p depending on the channel. Incidentally, Comcast's broadcasts aren't consistent across the nation -- the signal types (and even the list of available HD channels) changed noticeably when I moved from west Michigan to mid Michigan (only 60 miles). Most of the 15-ish HD channels I receive now are 720p, although I rarely watch any of them these days. I have my cable box set to upconvert SD signals (480i) to ED (480p), which provides a noticeable improvement in clarity, especially in the onscreen guide.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:18 PM

JakeRobb, the half life of the brightness of the first plasma sets was typically in the 2-3 year range assuming average to heavy use; they didn't die then but they got very measurably dimmer.

The plasma sets now days at a minimum will go for 5 years before even a 20% reduction.

Now still bothers me. But I guess in 5 years I'd probably not have that TV as the centerpiece of my home theater, either.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:58 PM

Rule #1: Do not buy plasma... why?

1. Screen burn-in!
2. More Expensive
3. Shipping costs way more for some reason? (Probly cuz of the next reason)
4. Repairs are costly
5. You'll have to recharge after a few years or so depending on how much you watch it.
6. don't support 1080p
7. Cuz i said so (Of course )

LCDs are much better, don't be fooled by 867x480 resolutions, or whatever the exact size is... 480 is pretty much standard... ED blows, HD rocks... get an Xbox 360 and you'll see what I mean.

LCD is the best choice, although they are some REALLY expensive ones out there! Do you homework and you'll be alright.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Congress passed a law stating that all over-the-air broadcasts have to be digital by the end of 2006, and that all analog broadcasts must be shut off at that time (the FCC is going to redistribute the frequency allocations currently used by analog TV). The deadline was originally May 1, 2002, but only about 1/4 of the nation's 1200-ish broadcast television stations met that deadline. AFAIK, the 2006 deadline still stands, although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was in jeopardy at this point.
Oh yeah, guess what I was pushed back again... 2 thousand and something lol... I think it's 2009. But don't quote me on that.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Wow someone got pissed quick. By being said lvl I must know how to operate all types of televisions and be familiar with their capabilities. I work in the real world every day answering questions for customers and technicians alike. Believe it or not some people choose to keep cable while they get Dish, so I am quite aware of how to operate/install cable too. I wasnt trying to make you look bad but give a insiders view to help the original poster out. I would like to help a fellow fbody owner out by not letting him screw himself due to lack of knowledge.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:13 PM

Hey guys, sorry I havent been here to respond(got too caught up in fantasy baseball drafts on yahoo, lol) I still have the TV and its set up in my living room. I am not getting the edtv anymore,..... gotta go with the HD. If anyone is interested or has questions let me know through email duke187z28@yahoo.com. or post a thread, i will be checking them daily now. Thanks, Duke p.s. here are a few specs height-46" width-39" Depth-19" Also please dont think that price is too good to be true, this tv is mint!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM

find a way to bring it to Philly.

Quick Reply: 42" HDTV $600 in IL.