Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Sonic checking heads?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Sonic checking heads?

I've got some heads I would like to have checked out to make sure they haven't been weakened by porting and will be able to handle what I want to through at them. Is there any kind of sonic check that will test them?

Since they are aluminum heads, will they expand and contract creating stress cracks? I had to have them welded in a few spots because the walls were too thin and there was a crack before I even touched them. I bought them used so I don't know if the guy ran them like that or if they were somehow damaged in the transaction. It was by one of the stud holes somewhat close to the intake valve wall.

They were originally ported by Lloyd Elliot and I further gasket matched them and did a little porting on the intake side, hopefully I didn't do too much damage.

Is there anything I can do to make sure the walls won't be too thin and crack over several heat cycles? I plan on running up to 15-20psi so I need heads that will take the abuse.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 PM

Just from your description of them, I wouldn't use them on 15 or 20 psi of boost.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Well they are only "thin" in that one spot. I plan on having it welded tomorrow and adding material to the port so it's a little thicker then before. The other spots that were fixed should be thick enough since they are just as thick as they were when they left Lloyd. Most of the material that was taken out was to open up the port for port matching, so not too much was taken off the walls. I just want to know if there is anything that will check the heads for weak areas that might not hold up to the power.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 AM

can you post pics? 15 to 20 psi lol your going to destroy those heads! sounds like they are ready for the scrap pile as is.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Yes they can be sonic checked - but personally I wouldn't use them because of the thin decks and the 20psi blower motor cylinder pressures, it may be hard to keep head gaskets from going unless maybe you change out to a MLS gasket.