Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Piston swap without balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Piston swap without balancing?

This is related to a thread I have going on the LT1 forum regarding a very low quench. I am looking to do heads and cam over this winter on an engine I had rebuilt 10k miles ago. After pulling the heads off, I measured how far down in the bore the pistons are only to find them at 0.045" blow deck height. So my question is, can I exchange pistons of similar weight to avoid extensive engine work, and if so how close do they need to be? I have found a set that is advertised to be within 3 grams.

Thanks,
-Matt
Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM

You already have to pull the motor and take it apart to replace the pistons (except the crank) your half assing it by not having it rebalanced...I would never try that I dont care what the pistons weight.

Why risk all the $$$$ you have into the motor only to skimp a small amount more on a re-balance man? I wouldnt risk it, but thats just me.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

3 grams doesn't sound like much but at high rpm, that translates into increased pounds. Using the same wrist pins also? A batch of wrist pins all for the same piston can have different weights also.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Asking if you don't need to balance an engine is not really "Advanced Tech". Its really just asking if you can be sloppy in your engine build.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Asking if you don't need to balance an engine is not really "Advanced Tech". Its really just asking if you can be sloppy in your engine build.
I tend to disagree with that statement. Since most engine balancers are only capable of getting a rotating assembly within 40g-cm of imbalance, it is most definantley a valid question. If the difference in weight will cause a negligible imbalance (i.e. significanly less than the 40 g-cm) then why redo it? My intention was not to half a-s, but more so to make sure I was not wasting money. These are two entirely different things.

Last edited by matLT1; 02-04-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

If I were in your position, I would ask the guys that previously balanced your engine if that would work, and maybe they will say to get the pistons and they will make all the pistons the same weight as the lightest one if they think it will work.

You say within 3 grams - is that lighter or heavier? Anyway I would ask the machine shop what you should do if you trust them and are still on good terms with them.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:59 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Anyway I would ask the machine shop what you should do if you trust them and are still on good terms with them.
Keep in mind that this is a machine shop that built him a new engine with pistons 0.045 in the hole.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by matLT1
This is related to a thread I have going on the LT1 forum regarding a very low quench. I am looking to do heads and cam over this winter on an engine I had rebuilt 10k miles ago. After pulling the heads off, I measured how far down in the bore the pistons are only to find them at 0.045" blow deck height. So my question is, can I exchange pistons of similar weight to avoid extensive engine work, and if so how close do they need to be? I have found a set that is advertised to be within 3 grams.

Thanks,
-Matt
Yes I would definitely rebalance. Nothing is harder on a motor than to be unbalanced. I took the balancing weight (very small) off my flywheel and it nearly shook my teeth out. I know yours will be internally balanced but this is just an example.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 AM

It partly depends on how the engine was balanced in the first place. But in general, if it was balanced to the usual "50%" using a piston that is up to maybe 5% lighter is fine, in fact, there are some engine builders that prefer a little "overbalance". Heavier can be a problem, but a few grams does not matter.

Rich
Old 02-07-2009, 01:21 AM

Like Rich said, it depends upon how the motor was rebuilt last time - if it was built as stock and not rebalanced because OEM weight pistons were used then you have some wiggle room with the piston weight due to the factory overbalance. If it was zero balanced by your builder then you need to use pistons exactly the same weight or lighter up to a predetermined percentage of your total bobweight.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM

I was reading M1's post and re-reading my post and wanted to clarify something. "Up to 5%" doesn't mean 5% of bob weight. Normally, if you elect for overbalance, it is 1-2% of the bob weight. This could translate into up to 4-5% of piston weight. Example - bob weight is 1750gms, piston is 500gms. You elect for a 1% overbalance. 1% of 1750g is 17.5gms, which is 3.5% of 500gms.

Rich
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 AM

I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge and experiences with me. I will take all things into consideration.

BTW,

This is the piston that was used for the build:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
I called Federal Mogul and they said the weight with pin is 695 +/- 7 grams.

Last edited by matLT1; 02-07-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
Keep in mind that this is a machine shop that built him a new engine with pistons 0.045 in the hole.
Good point. Wonder how that happened, cause they probably decked it too.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by matLT1
I appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge and experiences with me. I will take all things into consideration.

BTW,

This is the piston that was used for the build:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku
I called Federal Mogul and they said the weight with pin is 695 +/- 7 grams.
I think you will have would have no issues if you install pistons that are up to 20-25gms lighter. More than that and it will need balancing.

Rich
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I think you will have would have no issues if you install pistons that are up to 20-25gms lighter. More than that and it will need balancing.

Rich
Rich, just to clarify your statement, when you say 20-25 gms, you ARE talking each individ. pistons' weight, or the whole set compared to what was in there?

Quick Reply: Piston swap without balancing?