Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

LT4 intake manifold ports vs SBC

Old 02-27-2004, 02:22 PM

LT4 intake manifold ports vs SBC

How close would AFR 227 LT4 ports line up with a standard SBC chevy intake.

Im pretty sure I will be running an intake similiar to Jeff (HotRodHawk) just set up totally different (retain stock TB, eliminate voltage through opti etc)

Just need to know how close I will be. Likely will be running that New Victor E manifold, all set up for EFI.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:48 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
Shouldn't the ports line right up?? I think it's the bolt holes that would be off?? Could be wrong.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:07 PM

Yes the bolts will be off, I will need to tap the heads or the intake to accept the others holes. Have to see what clearances look like.

I think the ports will be really close, just seeing what the know it alls have to say.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Have fun waiting. I just talked to Edelbrock yesterday and they aren't even casting that intake for a few more months. That WAS what I was going to get...
Old 02-27-2004, 10:41 PM

Going from an LTx intake to sbc intake the bolt holes are way off, you will need to plug 8 of the 12 bolt holes in the heads. So far the Vic E looks like it will work out ok for a LT1 head.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Ken-
Jegs/summit all have it listed too. I just placed my order for the 227 AFRs today, so i have a 10 week wait for them anyways. Hopefully the intake manifold will be out by then, if not, it shouldnt be that hard to fab up.

LPE sells the injector bungs for 94 bucks. Im sure you could find those cheaper too and just custom fit the stock/aftermarket rails to it.

If you dont mind me asking, what are you thinking about doing with your setup?

Steve-
Thanks for the info too. BTW, your intake looks GREAT!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Advanced Tech Moderator

I'm not sure what I am doing exactly as of this moment, quite a few things that are still up in the air...
Old 02-28-2004, 12:12 AM

Arent there always?

Current thinking for me is running a single plane EFI manifold. Im going to try and 90º elbow off the top and mount a stock style throttle body up front, close to where the stocker would go. Already measured clearances, and its going to be TIGHT, but should fit under the stock hood.

This will also allow me to run one of those midget distributors in the conventional SBC position. Can pull the rotor out of the opti and just leave the optical portion in there to feed the hi/low res pulse to computer. At least i wont fling apart the rotor in the opti with the RPMs.

I would love to go the 4bbl TB like hotrodhawk, but thats a little too much $$$ for me to swallow as of right now. The heads are already killing my pocket book
Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by atljar
Arent there always?

Current thinking for me is running a single plane EFI manifold. Im going to try and 90º elbow off the top and mount a stock style throttle body up front, close to where the stocker would go. Already measured clearances, and its going to be TIGHT, but should fit under the stock hood.

Atljar,

I though there was a thread on the 90* elbow on a single plane, the air flow would not be right for this to work, it would hurt the performance of the car ......I may be way of here but i think that is way you have go to the 4B T/B on top of the intake

Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM

Ya ive seen that thread, BUT lets put it like this.

Lingenfelter and Accel got together and made a elbow just like this, but its almost $400

If LPE / accel put their name on it, im not too worried.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:59 AM

I am contemplating the same thing Altajar. I think I can fab up my own elbow and I have a Victor E already just need to have some injector bungs welded up on it and it will be good to go. LMK what you find out b/c I was thinking of the forward mount throttle body also b/c of the Mass air but how are going about the distributor setup? I don't think you will get as accurate timing with a conventional distributor but maybe I am wrong?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 PM

If I am right the lt-1 heads are the same port/bolt hole pattern as the vortec's.correct me if wrong.A victor jr for vortec's should be very close on lt heads.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by T/A lt1
I am contemplating the same thing Altajar. I think I can fab up my own elbow and I have a Victor E already just need to have some injector bungs welded up on it and it will be good to go. LMK what you find out b/c I was thinking of the forward mount throttle body also b/c of the Mass air but how are going about the distributor setup? I don't think you will get as accurate timing with a conventional distributor but maybe I am wrong?
Will do.

My other option was to grab a ls1 throttle body, and mount it vertically. Make a little flange that will bolt to the intake manifold. From there, i can run one of the vortec plastic CAIs. http://www.thunderracing.com/images/57-3013-2.jpg (see top pic of the tube (not the rest of it). The IAC and TPS should be the same on the TB.

For a distribtor, im going to order a "crab style" msd. Basically its just a cap and rotor, no other electronics in it and really low profile. Will remove the opti rotor, and leave in place the opti bearing in the back (which will feed low/hi res to the computer still, but wont have ANY current running through it). Just hook the coil up to the standard distrib and should work out. Computer will still control timing, but the opti wont be distributing the spark. Same thing the ls1 conversion does, but keeps 1 coil instead of 8.

Last edited by atljar; 03-04-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Jared,

I'm working on an easy way to put a SBC distributor in an LT-1. A way that will allow you to remove the entire assembley without unbolting anything but the distributor. Tracey and I spent until 4am one morning talking about this...lol

If your putting an SBC intake on LT-1 heads, I can fix that for you also. If you haven't checked NKYFBA, thats what i'm doing with heathers car since we got a LT-1 DIRT cheap

If you want to go with the LS-1 throttle body set up, let me know on that. I can get the intake pretty cheap and I've already got a couple of throttle bodies for them. I'll be happy to trade you straight up for my throttle body if you decide to go this route

Dude, maybe you should just call me or soemthing

-Shannon
Old 03-06-2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by NOMAD
Jared,

I'm working on an easy way to put a SBC distributor in an LT-1. A way that will allow you to remove the entire assembley without unbolting anything but the distributor. Tracey and I spent until 4am one morning talking about this...lol

If your putting an SBC intake on LT-1 heads, I can fix that for you also. If you haven't checked NKYFBA, thats what i'm doing with heathers car since we got a LT-1 DIRT cheap

If you want to go with the LS-1 throttle body set up, let me know on that. I can get the intake pretty cheap and I've already got a couple of throttle bodies for them. I'll be happy to trade you straight up for my throttle body if you decide to go this route

Dude, maybe you should just call me or soemthing

-Shannon
Ill check out the nkyfba board, i havent been over that way in awhile.

Will see what happens with everything else, right now ive got a HUGE wait for my heads from afr