Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Ideal turbo motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 AM

Ideal turbo motor

Ok i toasted my LT1 last week. Took out a rod and now its time to move on. My goal with the car is keep the SBC but upgrade the block etc to 2000+hp. Im looking to make about 1400rwhp with my combo. try to run low 8's high 7's max is the goal. can probably be done with less power but im shooting for that. Since im starting over with the motor i want to do everything right. My turbo kit is based around the LT1 so i want it to be able to fit with the new motor. I have read up on brodix 18* heads this still maintain the 23* valvetrain. Will these heads still work with my turbo kit or do the exhaust flanges and angles change out the combustion? It this a good head? What head would you recommend and why? Same goes for block. what block would you go with and why? Dart, motown, merlin, bow tie, etc. Im sure all are good and maybe each has a name for holding 2000+hp maybe not. If i knew i woudnt be asking

discuss
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM

I dont like the 18x head. It has several shortcomings and things that you end up tied to if you use it. It will not make the hp of a true 18* head. I would look into BMF 18* stuff if it was me, but there are several other good choices curtis boggs at race flow development has some very nice products as well.

On the exhaust it really kinda depends on what cylinder head you pick out what you're going to have to do, in alot of cases you can likely just run an adapter on the head to get the mounting flange of your headers to work. In some cases though you may have to cut the flange off your headers and weld a new one on which isnt really that huge of a deal.

For blocks I would go straight to the iron eagle from dart. It has a few quirks etc but for this kind of hp that would be my first choice, it does take a few special parts to run this block. Stay away from long 4" strokes (unless you go tall deck) and huge bores, with the ammount of boost/power your pushing you need the structural stability more than you need the extra cubes.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 PM

have to looked into any 15 degree heads?