Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Hyd. lifters, what's the difference between manf.?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Thumbs up Hyd. lifters, what's the difference between manf.?

Say a guy needs to replace lifters in a small block w/ a decent hyd. cam. Is there really a difference between all the different lifters from cam manf, and what makes 'em different and better from say a Sealed Power stock type replacement? I know there are "gimmicky" jobs like Rhoads, but otherwise is a lifter just a lifter?
Thanks,
ubg
Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 AM

Theres different kinds of flat tappet, but I dont figure you for the type to run those, but anyway. Gm sells a 'hard foot' flat tappet that was used in taxi cabs and heavy trucks. I have found those to be among the best available, alot of other stuff comes from offshore and is crap. They always have a good crown in them and they have held up in a few circle track engines I've done.

For hyd rollers there is a diff, I have had good luck with the ls7 and gmpp caddy lifters in all the oe roller stuff. However if a juice roller absolutely must rpm and has a wicked lobe profile it rides on. I usually look at some of the spendier billet bodied stuff that uses ceramic components in the valving. The billet body is a good thing because the wilder the lobe its on gets the more it tries to push it through the lifter bore and it can deform and cause a leak with the valving inside the lifter. You can also get into larger diameter stuff just like with the flat tappets, but you're looking at some $$ there. I have had hyd roller stuff work up to 7500, but it takes lots if time and know how and a great cam designer, dont forget the 5 gallon bucket of cash either.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Have him go with the caddy lifters like stated, can be had at good price.