Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

How to calculate proper Braking Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:26 PM

How to calculate proper Braking Setup

Often times we just want to throw bigger more expensive items at our brake systems to make them better. But I want to take a look at the engineering behind the whole system. Specifically for an LT1 cars.

I currently run LS1 power slot rotors and calipers with PBR pads, and stainless steel lines... while the rear has stock LT1 brakes and pads. I have 275/40/17 Potenza 730's up front and Nitto drags in the back. Suspension is Bilstein HD's, SFC, PHB, 32/21 sway bars, LCAs, Stock springs. Also 100lbs has been removed from the front of the car.

I would like to take a scientific approach to upgrading my system. Im wondering if I should spray heat indicator paint on my rotors to determine how hot they get so I can match the proper pads to their operating temperature. This way I can optimize the braking with the current system. Or do this with a C5 brake setup.

Also the LT1 ABS system might be a limiting factor in my braking. How limiting I do not know. Im under the impression that the LT1 ABS system is inferior to the LS1s.

Im also considering braided steel lines on the back too.

Currently the tires have more stopping power in them because the brakes will not lock up the tires.

But I am afraid that upgrading to C5 calipers/rotors will out brake the tires causing the ABS system to activate.

I would like to take a scientfic approach to modifying the brake system so I don't end up over doing 1 aspect while being limited by another.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZDriver96
Currently the tires have more stopping power in them because the brakes will not lock up the tires.
You need to correct this problem before proceeding down any sort of an "advanced" development path, because even the relatively small C5 front brakes and stock rear brakes on my Impala can lock up my autocross tires with ease.

Going into any further detail requires some additional information - primarily, what are your goals? Do you want a good setup for the street, are you autocrossing, do you plan on doing open-track days, or do you want to haul down the car at the end of the quarter?

The big problem with brake tuning is that it's so dependent on other tuning parameters. For example, the "ideal" braking balance will change depending on your tire selection, suspension setup, aero package (at higher speeds), CoG location, driving style, and vehicle usage.

I'd recommend that you start by picking up a copy of Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, as Chapter 12 provides a great introduction into the inter-relationships between braking and a host of other vehicle tuning parameters.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:31 PM

For what it's worth, this month's issue of Grassroots Motorsports has an excellent article on this topic that was written by an engineer at TRW.