Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Has anyone actually dynoed gains from shaft mount rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 PM

Has anyone actually dynoed gains from shaft mount rockers?

I see plenty of quotes where people "have seen" 15, 20, 30hp gains
from switching to shaft-mount rockers of the same ratio (from roller rockers)
but I have yet to see any proof.

Has anyone actually done a back-to-back dyno test? (SOTP dynoes don't count)
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 AM

See the post titled "If you don't believe me........."

Rich
Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 AM

I may have to look into these "shaft" rockers for my new build.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
See the post titled "If you don't believe me........."
Opinions are good, and I've seen a lot of those.
Looking for LT1-specific info with data.

No disrespect intended man.

Last edited by James Montigny; 03-03-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM

It might be difficult to get the valvetrain geometry correct on aluminum LT1/4 heads with SBC rockers/guideplates because of slightly different valve spacing. Shaft-mounts are easier to set up correctly and can worth power and reduce wear in cases like that.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 AM

It's a good question, sorry to be misunderstood. I just thought the thread was redundant.

Rich
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 AM

In my limited experience the gains to be had with switching to shaft mount rockers are because of improper valvetrain setup to begin with, not because of some magical bearings or incredibly light components. I believe that if you use offset stud mount rockers and set up the valvetrain properly then you won't see any significant gain. The gains come from people switching from pro mags, cranes, etc. to shaft mounts which isn't a fair comparison.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Opinions are good, and I've seen a lot of those.
Looking for SBC-specific info with data.

No disrespect intended man.
I would like to see also, if there are even any real gains to be had.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:07 PM

I someone provides the car, the parts, and will install the shafties I can get the testing done on a Dynojet. Has to be like ratio to like ratio, etc. and I would need a release about damage, blah blah, blah and also permission to use the results on a web site for advertising purposes, etc. If we asked a maufacturer to provide the parts, I bet they wouldn't because I bet they know that they do not make any more power, at least on the typical bracket or street/strip car. Hell, you could offer to pay for them IF they made more than a trivial power difference (more than ~1% or so) and they wouldn't do that either.

Rich

Last edited by rskrause; 02-29-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I someone provides the car, the parts, and will install the shafties I can get the testing done on a Dynojet. Has to be like ratio to like ratio, etc. and I would need a release about damage, blah blah, blah and also permission to use the results on a web site for advertising purposes, etc. If we asked a maufacturer to provide the parts, I bet they wouldn't because I bet they know that they do not make any more power, at least on the typical bracket or street/strip car. Hell, you could offer to pay for them IF they made more than a trivial power difference (more than ~1% or so) and they wouldn't do that either.

Rich
Anytime man, It'll give me an excuse to visit my parents while I'm up there.
All we need is someone to donate parts LOL yeah ... probably not gonna happen.
Worth a shot though, that's how I got the NRT H/C package for my 95
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM

i have a set of comp cams shaft rockers for an ls1 if someone wants to try
Old 03-01-2008, 10:42 AM

As I think it has been said quite a few times on here, the "gains" from switching to a shaft mount system are minimal if your stud mount system is of good quality and the geometry is correct. You also are not going to see gains if you are running a hydraulic roller, unless your geometry was way off to begin with. We just recently switched a customer over to shaft mounts on his super production racer not for power gain (there was none - dyno verified) but because we wanted to save valve guides, his off-set lifters and valve spacing was causing side-loading of the valve that only an off-set shaft mount system would fix. The Crower Enduro II off-set rockers were not helping much because the rigidity was not there. Now if you are building a motor from scratch, I think the shaft mounts are a good investment to look into because once you price all the components needed for a stud mount system it's pretty comparable. Shaft mounts are hard to setup wrong if you follow the directions, stud mounts take some knowledge and practice to get them to work as best possible.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:50 AM

Here is an article on Jesel's website pertaining to shaft mounts vs. studs on a small block Chevy: http://www.jeselonline.com/v2/index.php?categoryid=52
What no one has mentioned so far is that shaft mounts (I know that Jesel does, not sure about other brands) correct the not so great valve train geometry on a SBC. If you have a SBC with heads that have even further valve spacing than stock, its even more reason to go with shaft mounts. Remember, this is on a small block Chevy. Shaft mounts don't pay such dividends as say on a LS series motor. This issue along with many other improvements were made when the motor was designed. As MachinistOne said, if you are building a motor from scratch, they are worth looking into. The price is comparable by the time you buy the rockers, studs, guide plates, and a girdle. As far as power increases, my engine builder has seen 20 to 25 HP on a small block Chevy build. I have run both setups on my motor. It started out with a stud mount, then I upgraded to shafts. I used to be someone that was completely against shafts on a street motor. After my experience, my view is totally different.

Nick
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM

What is the aspect of your experience that leads you to conclude that shafts produce a significant improvement?

Rich
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

What components are you guys buying where the price is comparable between stud mount versus shaft mount? When I do the same comparison on my BBC, the shafties cost about $1K.

Pro Mags - $300
ARP Studs - $35
Guide Plates - $25
Comp Girdle - $200

Jesel SS Shaft Mount - $825

Quick Reply: Has anyone actually dynoed gains from shaft mount rockers?