Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

nitrous question

Old 10-20-2004, 04:13 PM

nitrous question

if nitrous breaks down at 5xx degrees(or whatever temp?) and releases oxygen, then why cant you just spray o2 and gas?

there is prolly a simple answer to this...im just stumped!

Last edited by marshall93z; 10-20-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:12 PM

Re: nitrous question

It breaks down into it's components nitrogen and oxygen, but there is no combustion. It takes higher pressures/heat(diesel engines, for example) or a heat source like your spark plug to ignite the fuel/air mixture. That's how nitrous works... it breaks down and floods your CC with more oxygen as it mixes with the fuel vapors and ignites under the plug.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:27 PM

yeah, but why cant you just have oxygen in the bottle versus nitrous?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM

It's been a while since i've had chemistry but...

Normal air we breathe is only about 20-30% oxygen.. the rest is water vapor, CO2, inert gases, etc.. Nitrous oxide is about 66% oxygen. You have to get into partial pressure and such to understand the bonding nature between the gas molecules. They flow like a fluid and have repulsive forces between them, which is why the molecules will remain intact and not allow any other atoms to attach to them. The distance between each of these molecues will vary depending on the forces the surrounding molecules exert on it. So a bunch of oxygen molecules will be a certain distance apart. Now with nitrous the nitrous molecules are about the same distance apart (maybe closer due to the charges in them). But now you have more oxygen atoms pulled closer together riding on the back of the nitrogen atom. So now any given volume has more oxygen molecules in it vs the same volume filled only with air.

You just don't want air in your CC, you want OXYGEN since it's the only atom that reacts with the hydrocarbons (gas) in the combustion process. Nitrous acts as a shuttle to get more in there.

Last edited by Fast Caddie; 10-20-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM

a fuel is needed to slow down and control combustion. purge oxygen combusts to fast and would be a very violent explosion, it would create insane pressures in your combustion chamber and would basically destroy your motor.

at least thats what i've been told. there is probably quite a bit more involved than just that.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Caddie
It's been a while since i've had chemistry but...

Normal air we breathe is only about 20-30% oxygen.. the rest is water vapor, CO2, inert gases, etc.. Nitrous oxide is about 66% oxygen. You have to get into partial pressure and such to understand the bonding nature between the gas molecules. They flow like a fluid and have repulsive forces between them, which is why the molecules will remain intact and not allow any other atoms to attach to them. The distance between each of these molecues will vary depending on the forces the surrounding molecules exert on it. So a bunch of oxygen molecules will be a certain distance apart. Now with nitrous the nitrous molecules are about the same distance apart (maybe closer due to the charges in them). But now you have more oxygen atoms pulled closer together riding on the back of the nitrogen atom. So now any given volume has more oxygen molecules in it vs the same volume filled only with air.

You just don't want air in your CC, you want OXYGEN since it's the only atom that reacts with the hydrocarbons (gas) in the combustion process. Nitrous acts as a shuttle to get more in there.
im pretty sure i said oxygen...not air.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Administrator

The decomposition temperature for N2O is ~575degC = 1,067degF

N2O is 33% oxygen by volume, and 36.4% by mass

Air is 21% oxygen by volume, 23.2% by mass.

You fill the cylinder on a "volume" basis, you combust the contents on a "mass" basis.

As the percentage of O2 in the combustion mixture rises, the burn speed and the combustion temperature increase. Get the concentration of oxygen high enough, and you lose control of combustion. And, the increased O2 concentration, coupled with the increased combustion temperatures will start to burn aluminum, and melt steel. And as noted above (I think that may be what the "shuttle" reference is), the nitrogen does act as a "buffer".
Old 10-21-2004, 03:05 PM

oh ok...i think i see now.

thanks for the info!