Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

"Big" cams - vacuum pump or vacuum canister?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:34 PM

"Big" cams - vacuum pump or vacuum canister?

Like the subject says, vacuum pump or vacuum canister?

I'm dropping from a 260/266 @ 0.050" 0.650"/0.650" 112 lsa cam to a 242/248 @ 0.050" 0.625"/0.625" 112 lsa cam and wondered if I really need a vacuum pump or canister to store vacuum for my power brakes (not an F-body, but the need for brake booster vacuum still applies), or if the new cam is small enough that I don't need to bother.

I'd rather save the expense, wiring, and noise of having a pump, if possible, so a canister would be the best solution if I need help for my brakes. It can't hurt, can it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

Re: "Big" cams - vacuum pump or vacuum canister?

Jim,

I think you have enough Compression where it will have enough idle vacuum for your brakes. Especially since it's a SR on a 396.

Bret
Old 04-25-2005, 03:46 PM

Thanks Bret. I think a vacuum canister wouldn't hurt, and I'll need a check valve anyway, but I really didn't want to add another electrical device or the noise of a vacuum pump.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:28 PM

i prefer a can over pump, i run one now, even though my cam is tiny-its ground on 110.Ive run big solids with tight centers without vac assist before and the problem wasnt that you couldnt brake coming to stop[as revs were off idle] it was that the pedal sucked when the motor was idling.
IE stop and go traffic was a PITA and you had to rev it in the staging beams to get enough pedal to stall the converter.
If i read right that youre going DOWN to 24x, i dont think it will be big deal, but couldnt hurt if you have room.
just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jimlab
I'm dropping from a 260/266 @ 0.050" 0.650"/0.650" 112 lsa cam to a 242/248 @ 0.050" 0.625"/0.625" 112 lsa cam and wondered if I really need a vacuum pump or canister to store vacuum for my power brakes (not an F-body, but the need for brake booster vacuum still applies), or if the new cam is small enough that I don't need to bother.

I'd rather save the expense, wiring, and noise of having a pump, if possible, so a canister would be the best solution if I need help for my brakes. It can't hurt, can it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't expect you to have any problems at all. I've ran bigger cams and didn't.

That sounds like a great cam for a high performance street stroker. I've got one pretty close. Let us know how it works.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
I wouldn't expect you to have any problems at all. I've ran bigger cams and didn't.
Let's just say that way back when, I had a really bad experience with a 306/306 (advertised duration) cam (in a 350 with a Weiand Team G miniram) in my '67 Camaro and a complete lack of brakes at high speed.

I just want to make sure I've got the right stuff.

That sounds like a great cam for a high performance street stroker. I've got one pretty close. Let us know how it works.
Thanks. One of these years, I will.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:27 PM

Jim - You know, when you think about it, if you have the room for a canister then it just makes sense to go with one. It's definately cost effective, and for 60 bucks (what I paid for mine) plus plumbing it makes no real sense NOT to use one with a larger cam. I've got a plain old 847 in my 383, and I have a canister. It's just too easy/cheap to put it on there and helps in the peace of mind department.

Dave C.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:31 PM

"242/248 @ .050 lotalift/lotalift 112º lsa"

Ya kidding jimlab.

That cam would pull 10" Hg (or better) in a 350 ci @ ~900 rpm. You won't have any vacuum problems with that in a 396.

Good luck.

-Mindgame
Old 04-25-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame
Ya kidding jimlab.

That cam would pull 10" Hg (or better) in a 350 ci @ ~900 rpm. You won't have any vacuum problems with that in a 396.
I figured as much, but wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I was going to use the vacuum pump with the 260/266, but wasn't sure if the smaller cam would require anything, since I knew it would pull quite a bit more vacuum.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by CCCCCYA
Jim - You know, when you think about it, if you have the room for a canister then it just makes sense to go with one. It's definately cost effective, and for 60 bucks (what I paid for mine) plus plumbing it makes no real sense NOT to use one with a larger cam. I've got a plain old 847 in my 383, and I have a canister. It's just too easy/cheap to put it on there and helps in the peace of mind department.
Yep.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:46 PM

Question Re: "Big" cams - vacuum pump or vacuum canister?

BTW jimbo, got any new pics of that monster RX7 of yours? Hadn't heard much from you in a while.

Did see a video of a guy who shoed an LS1 into a last-gen RX7. Pretty solid high-ten second car. Looked darn good too.

-Mindgame
Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame
BTW jimbo, got any new pics of that monster RX7 of yours? Hadn't heard much from you in a while.
I've gotten a few things taken care of, but not many pictures posted. I finished the Cobra 8.8" IRS swap, I'm about half way done on the headlights, just finished cutting down the original set of fabricated valve covers to mount coil packs on, and I'm just about ready to start on the headers. Bret's helping me get my valve spring issues worked out, and I've got a new cam (as mentioned) to get in the engine.

Did see a video of a guy who shoed an LS1 into a last-gen RX7. Pretty solid high-ten second car. Looked darn good too.
Might have been Brian Hinson, but there are a couple others in that range now, still getting things sorted out. Hinson has a new twin turbo setup that should be pretty potent. Even Jordon has an RX-7 conversion in the works.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM

Jim: I recently swapped back to power brakes from manual brakes. No problems so far. However, I only put about ten city miles on it. Idle is set at 1100. Cam is a ~25x/26x. Lift is under ~.610".

Ryan
Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 AM

Thanks Ryan. I know Jordon used to daily drive his car with a solid roller in my range, so it can't be that bad, but I'll go with a vacuum canister anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 AM

I just tunned the car so I don't need one Yeah sure laugh tune brakes you ask.

Pretty simple, I messed around with the IAC follower tables so when I let off the gas while driving at any speed my RPM is at 1500 to create enough vacume for my brakes, just upped the IAC tables and observed the RPM while coasting, now it worked out so if I'm coasting to a stop in my 6 speed even in neutral my RPM is 1500 until I come to a complete stop meaning 0 MPH, even at 2mph the rpm is still 1500 then once 0 hits the idle drops to 1000 which is what I idle at, this improved my braking 10 folds because with more RPM = higher vacume, no need for canister

Quick Reply: "Big" cams - vacuum pump or vacuum canister?