Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Battery drain / Courtesy fuse / BCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Battery drain / Courtesy fuse / BCM

2001 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Stock everything except wheels.

What's up guys, can anyone help me to acquire a set of schematics for a BCM on a 98-02 LS1 Z28? I've developed a parasitic draw that's been narrowed down to the #8 Courtesy 20amp fuse (tracked via ammeter hooked in series with neg. batt. cable).

Below is a possible clue that may hold merit in this issue.

***** When testing for which fuse the draw is coming from, the door latch was shut and everything including the car lights had all shut off already. Upon pulling the #8 fuse a click was heard coming from the rear view mirror and the current draw reading on the ammeter stopped. *****

Does anyone have, or know where I could acquire, the BCM circuit card assembly schematics to trace which components on the circuit card control are associated with the #8 spot on the fuse panel? Or if anyone has the solution for this issue, I'd love to hear it. I've been having this issue for quite a while now - have gone through 2 alternators and 3 batteries in the process. It takes about a day and a half to drain my battery from fully charged to nothing. I've read every blog from numerous Camaro sites and found a ton of people with the same issue, but no one ever responds with the solution. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I've pulled the BCM once already and fixed an intermittent radio, window, convertible motor electrical issue due to cold solder joint. For anyone experiencing the intermittent radio, window, convertible motor electrical issue, watch the following video for the fix.

how to fix,Camaro z28 Power windows and radio intermittently not working (bcm repair) - YouTube
Old 03-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Re: Battery drain / Courtesy fuse / BCM

Hi, I am experiencing a parasitic draw like you mentioned. The draw is still undetermined and has not surfaced yet when being tested. Right now, the car is only drawing down within spec. The short occurs overnight and has yet to be isolated.

After culling various threads, the mentioned shorts was: a drivers seat motor, the radio amp, and two simple finds like a rear hatch not being closed properly and the courtesy light not going out.

The battery, alternator, starter, ignition switch, battery wires have either been replaced or checked out fine.

Were you able to determine your problem-where was it located? I would ask the mechanic to check there first.

Appreciate any help you could provide!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Re: Battery drain / Courtesy fuse / BCM

"ap0001" didn't get a response, because he posted on the wrong forum. "Adavanced Tech" is not intended for routine tech questions. There are "stickies" at the top of the forum warning you not to post here, including the fact that it is a relatively inactive forum.

To top that off, "ap0001" posted his problem, signed off and never came back to see if he got a response. So he hasn't been here for more than 1-1/2 years. So he's not going to help you.

Guess you aren't happy with the help several of us are trying to give you.