Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Another 4th gen BBC install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 PM

Another 4th gen BBC install

I am currently preparing my 96 camaro for a major change... Big Block Chevy 427 with Nitrous, and I have been reading other post on how the few others that have done this are going about the conversion. Problem is, everyone has their own opinion and usually questions go unanswered. This may be a slow process, but during my build up I encourage any and all good information and issues that everyone has encountered during this process. Currently, I am starting with a BMR K member, and UTI crossmember for my th400 transmission. I also went ahead and did a vertical radiator conversion to the car, for more space to work with. I am using an eldebrock low rise intake, so with my 4" cowl hood, shouldn't have too much of an issue. Please let me know what advise, questions or ideas you may have. Thank you
Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Re: Another 4th gen BBC install

Any pics of the engine prep? I'm looking for info on what exactly I need to do to drop one in. I know about the k member and motor plates.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Savage405
Any pics of the engine prep? I'm looking for info on what exactly I need to do to drop one in. I know about the k member and motor plates.
I'll see if I can load some pics on here in the next couple days. I'm actually going to do the drop without the plates, I ordered a k member from bmr that has the motor mounts, and I'm going to hope for the best with the urithane bushings. It seems like it's a great design since the big block is longer the mounts allow for the motor to be shifted forward 2 1/2" which makes up the difference. I also did a vertical mount aluminum radiator to allow for some room up front. All of the info so far I have gathered has been forums and Google searches including images. I'm using the recommended hooker headers for clearance, which I happened to already have. I have not dropped the motor into the car yet, should be within the next month, so I will post pics if I can of before and after. The upper cowl I removed the plastic and used a sawsall to cut the upper portion back to the fire wall, then used a hand brake to bend the metal back to give rounded off edges, so I won't end up all cut up working on it. I left the Passanger wiper assembly in tack and only cut up to the adjacent support, so I'm interested myself in seeing if the carb and distributor clear it. Since I am using a lower profile edelbrock intake manifold, I'm not too concerned yet, however I am a little worried about the HEI distributor, I've read that others are using a standard distributor with an external coil. I have a 4" cowl hood, and plan on using a carburated cold air intake set up, it's just time and money now.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM

Did u cut up the firewall? Hit me up on fb if u don't mind Marques Lorenzo. I'm in the process of getting a bbc put in my 96 camaro t top....
Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Savage405
Did u cut up the firewall? Hit me up on fb if u don't mind Marques Lorenzo. I'm in the process of getting a bbc put in my 96 camaro t top....
I did cut up to the firewall, about a 1 foot section of the upper cowl was cut out to the firewall and 1/2" down to use a hand brake to fold the sharp edges over. The lower Passanger side of the firewall at the a.c. box lower center had to be cut about 2" wide and 5" up from the transition point to the floor board to allow the header to clear. This is keeping the transmission from centering up in the tunnel, at the moment, so once I have the cut complete, I'll make notes for the final build process. Now in the process of clearing the carb and seeing what I can do to keep the Passanger side wiper assembly in tact. I have been able to use a standard hei distributor and it fits with little clearance, so if I need to service it I should be able to drop the transmission mount down and gain room.