Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

750HP LT1 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 AM

method to madness

I'm looking for good gas milage (over 20mpg) and reliable as a stock lt1 which will fireup most of the time, if not everytime. Is the Quest.
I agree that 700+hp is completely doable with many configurations. it is the reliability part that is difficult and it is to be a daily driver. Therefore, the parts being used will be critically important. Research as much as you can there are other options available and a lot of smart guys in here that you can rely on.
Also I once toured the DEI motor building facility and they had a sign above one door
(It takes 50,000 dollars and 1200 hours of labor to build an engine to last 500 miles and WIN.
P.S. The time is just as important as the money).
So what your goal is determines how you spend your time and money.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:46 PM

Your right on when u say that it takes time AND money. Ive spent about a month just planning my shortblock for my engine, and I am still not sure if what I have now will be the last revision.

And finding that right configuration to keep your engine a daily driver is key also. I wanted 1000 hp and still be able to drive it in traffic, idle at 900-1200 rpms and get 20 mpg on the highway....so i threw out the blower since I couldn't control boost on the fly as easily as a turbo engine, also to keep the longevity of the engine up i went with a dry sump system, oil coolers, and a good filtering system to keep the bearings happy. (hehe in a 1000hp engine i dont think that word should exsist)
Little things like that added togheter will keep a 600 hp to a 1500 hp engine as streetable as possible....and your defenition of streetable has to be very broad.

Hunter
Old 07-01-2003, 07:31 PM

lol 50k damn, I won't see that much track time, maybe twice to three times a summer. I'm racing for braggin rights and to make other look stupid for racin me. Really, super hot street readutta control street. Iwould only drive to beast in the summer on weekends or super hot days when the azz is out.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM

TIMEBANDIT, where in Louisiana are you located?

Kyle
Old 07-02-2003, 11:02 AM

method for madness 750hp+

I am in the new orleans area. We build lots of marine stuff here which is a real testing ground for how well an engine can stand up under adverse conditions. And we have a few baja engines that we have built also. Mostly we build big blocks
but my real love is SBC street cars.
I know that my choices for components were a little on the highend side of things but when you turn an engine 7500-8000rpms like some of ours do for racing you find out real quick what lasts. You also find out that a tiny mistake or an overlooked measurement while building an engine will cause severe damage. We buy cranks from Callies, HTC, and Cola, billet rods from Oliver and lunatti we require metalurgy certs from all. I have read several discussions about quality of some of the cheaper components and I have bought a few but ask them for certs and they will laugh at you, does this tell you something.

383, callies crank, oliver rods, hooker long tubes, 3.73 gears, posi, and a few other items hehehe 11.20 naturally aspirated
Old 07-05-2003, 12:21 AM

DAMNIT YOU GUYS! I think the easiest way to get this 750rwhp of "streetable" power... Would be to get MT1 or Combination Motorsports to build you a long 7000cc LS1 long block for around $14,000, and then get a Magna-charger supercharger, have it professionaly tuned and be done with it, it would save all the extra work needed to retrofit LT1 goods into the older GEN 1 style rocket blocks etc. etc.

Why not take the "simple" route?
Old 07-05-2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Larnach

DAMNIT YOU GUYS! I think the easiest way to get this 750rwhp of "streetable" power... Would be to get MT1 or Combination Motorsports to build you a long 7000cc LS1 long block for around $14,000, and then get a Magna-charger supercharger, have it professionaly tuned and be done with it, it would save all the extra work needed to retrofit LT1 goods into the older GEN 1 style rocket blocks etc. etc.

Why not take the "simple" route?

unstable bob sez:

Whoa Nellie! Time for me to go beddie-bye-bye!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:24 AM

The "simple" route is nitrous or a hairdryer................ or just chunk the little motor and build a big block.

-Mindgame
Old 07-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Its been done, but I think he was making 13 MPG, and the guy can tune - feel free to ask him. http://para.noid.org/~lj
Old 07-05-2003, 06:05 PM

Methos for Madness

One other thing you might consider is to purchase a 32valve ZR1 motor. There have been a few recently on Ebay for 5K to 8k and a new one for 9k. I know for about 3k to 4k Lenginfelter builds them to 750 hp and 20 mph and he calls them bullet proof.

Just a thought!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2003, 06:57 PM

4000k and lingenfelter gets a magical 750hp out of 400? How... thats like $1000 per 100hp on an engine that has no aftermarket parts, so a rotating assembly alone to keep up with 750hp would cost over $5000, let alone the head work... camshafts, etc. etc.

I smell fish.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:44 AM

Re: Methos for Madness

Originally posted by TIMEBANDIT
One other thing you might consider is to purchase a 32valve ZR1 motor. There have been a few recently on Ebay for 5K to 8k and a new one for 9k. I know for about 3k to 4k Lenginfelter builds them to 750 hp and 20 mph and he calls them bullet proof.

Just a thought!!!!!!!!!
1990 - 1995 Corvette ZR1
415 CID engine package

610 BHP / 520 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
• Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
• Custom porting & polishing - cylinder heads, plenum assembly and injector housings
• Special three angle valve job, checking of spring tension and heights
• Titanium valve spring retainers
• Surfacing of cylinder heads to insure sealing and improve compression
• Camshaft profile enhancements through our special degreeing procedure
• Reassembly and blueprinting of the top section of the engine
• Intake Manifold Engraved with LINGENFELTER
• Inspection and disassembly of the lower section of the engine
• Custom forged steel crankshaft - 4.125" stroke
• Custom Cosworth forged pistons - 12.0:1 compression ratio
• Custom iron cylinder sleeves - 4.00" diameter
• Billet steel connecting rods - 5.850" length
• Computer balanced rotating assembly
• Reassembly and blueprinting of the lower section of the engine
• 63 mm throttle body
• K&N air filter and cleaning kit
• Borla 304 stainless steel exhaust system
• Chassis dyno report
• 2 year/24,000 mile warranty

1990 - 1995 Corvette package price $33,900.00

i have some video footage of a guy i met in this area that has a 38Xish stroked LT5..........put down 550rwhp on a mustang dyno, so its even more powerful than lingenfelters package....................well until he sprayed a 200shot and blew a head gasket
Old 07-06-2003, 11:09 AM

I'd say that's a wee bit under 750hp and a wee bit over $4000.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Larnach
I'd say that's a wee bit under 750hp and a wee bit over $4000.

haha.........i think he charges like $4000 just to touch your car.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:34 PM
BBB

Originally posted by Brady_96Z
I've easily got 750rwhp covered, I was a Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler and I got an average of 20 mpg on the 3000 mile trip.

Turbo(s) are the answer
Brady I dropped you a line the other day. I am not sure if you changed your e-mail though. How much did your new setup cost? I just cruised you website and once again I am completely impressed.

BBB

Quick Reply: 750HP LT1 Daily Driver