3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

car won't start, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Angry car won't start, help!

I need help to try to fix this thing, its been doing it for a while and I can't find the problem... The engine won't even roll over sometimes, I turn the key, acts like its going to start but the engine doesn't make any noise at all, it just sits there. I've replaced the ignition and the security relay, two things which are supposed to be the cause of this and neither have fixed it.. Can someone please help! Thnx!

------------------
1989 Camaro RS Convertable
350 ci Throttle Body Injection
(no mods yet, mostly stock except the 305 was removed and replaced with a 350)
Suggestions very much welcome!
------------------------
1996 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L v6 (Stock), Black
------------------------
1986 Chevrolet Camaro v6 2.8L (Stock)
Old 07-28-2002, 03:39 AM

I had a similar problem with my T/A-88 but I could hear the solenoid click. I had my starter renovated and the solenoid changed and then the problem was sold.

Good luck from Sweden

------------------
Pontiac T/A GTA 350 (L98)-88,TH700, TransGo shiftkit, Edelbrock headers, Holley adj fuel reg, Accell SuperCoil and 8.8mm spark, no cat´s,JR airfilter
Old 07-28-2002, 06:26 AM
Banned

Have you gone to a shop to have them check the draw on the battery when you attempt to crank it? I had another car which had excellent battery but when you tried to crank it, it would sound like it was out of juice. Cable to the starter was frayed.

Leave the key in run and try one of those remote starter things and see if that will work. If it does then your problem might be a bad cable.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:49 AM

When you turn the key, and wait for around five seconds, check to see if the "security" light goes off. if it doesn't your chip in the key isn't working. You can splice in a couple of resistors in at the bottom of the steering column. If this is the problem e-mail me and I will tell you how to do it.

Also check the fuse in the engine bay. It looks like a mini relay. if your standing there looking over your engine bay from the front looking at the battery the fuse holder is connected to the fender about six inches back towards the fire wall on the left.

Thats what was wrong with mine, I ended up changing the fuel pump and the starter relay along with a couple of other things. ALL for a fuse!!

Anyway good luck and if you have anyother ?? e-mail me

John
Old 07-28-2002, 03:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklim:
Have you gone to a shop to have them check the draw on the battery when you attempt to crank it? I had another car which had excellent battery but when you tried to crank it, it would sound like it was out of juice. Cable to the starter was frayed.

Leave the key in run and try one of those remote starter things and see if that will work. If it does then your problem might be a bad cable.
</font>
yah, infact I broke down at the parts house 1 time, they couldn''t find out what the problem was.. guy suggested security relay, that fixed it for a while, but thats not it this time.. Its nothing like the battery dieing or anything, charge is perfect, security light is off, when I hit the key it turns the fan off, radio off etc, like its supposed to, but the engine NEVER turns over.. I can walk away from it for 2 minutes and all of a sudden it'll crank, or earlier today I went to crank it and it messed up like that and then I turned the key again and it cranked right up. Its been doing this since I bought the car a year ago, since I bought the car I've replaced ignition, wires, security relay, fuses, harness' and some other things (not the starter {yet}).
Old 07-28-2002, 04:36 PM

Can You hear 1 click from the solenoid each time You turn the key?

Well, what Your telling it looks just the same as my problem. Check the starter or the solenoid and You´d be fine.

------------------
Pontiac T/A GTA 350 (L98)-88,TH700, TransGo shiftkit, Edelbrock headers, Holley adj fuel reg, Accell SuperCoil and 8.8mm spark, no cat´s,JR airfilter
Old 07-28-2002, 04:40 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glimmer:
Can You hear 1 click from the solenoid each time You turn the key?

Well, what Your telling it looks just the same as my problem. Check the starter or the solenoid and You´d be fine.

</font>
The only clicking noise im hearing is coming from the security module (its mounted in side the car, in different cars its in different places, supposidly disables the starter, but is very easilly by passed). It used to be that when the car would do this I could take that relay out and hot wire it and it would start right up, but now I can't.. Something different now.

------------------
1989 Camaro RS Convertable
350 ci Throttle Body Injection
(no mods yet, mostly stock except the 305 was removed and replaced with a 350)
Suggestions very much welcome!
------------------------
1996 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L v6 (Stock), Black
------------------------
1986 Chevrolet Camaro v6 2.8L (Stock)