3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

yet another non starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM

yet another non starter

ok heres the deal I just got this camaro a few days it was soposed to be a 350 but its not its the stock 305 TPI and its not starting here is what i have done.... I have changed all the spark plugs and found maybe 3 to be slightly wet noticed fuel had water in it so got the water out of the tank and added about a gallon of gas (will add more later) there is spark on the plugs wires I put on the checker to see and there seems to be getting enough spark to the plugs. I had used an entire can of starting fluid just to see if its a fuel problem while having a firend crank motor over I opened the butterflys and started spraying and I didnt even get a cough or sputter out of it I have not checked compression or fuel pressure yet I am going to barrow a buddys compression tester and fuel pressure gauge tuesday and see where that gets me but he told me even if the comression was low it should atleast sputter with the start fluid but once again got nothing I am seeing lots of problems resolved on here and I thought I found the post to fix the problem because I was having the same problem. I pulled the injector wires and checked all them with the key on and ecu pluged in and im getting 12 volts on all the wires and no shorts to ground so those are good although injectors could be bad but it should have still atleast sputtered with the start fluid right? not sure where to go to next but I know if I cant get it running I am going to drop in a 350 into it but should I keep the TPI setup or should I go Carborate or even TBI? any ideas what I should do not sure if the oil is soaked with fuel or not my dipstick was missing and where it goes is pinched off.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Re: yet another non starter

i would fix the current issue first if you decide to keep the TPI, you drop another motor in now and you will still have the same prob or more probs. depending on what your long term plan is, i would keep the 305 in there and do a few minor mods after the issue is fixed as they are very fun cars.

can you hear the fuel pump when you hit the key? get your ear inside the dr side fender and have someone hit the key, if you hear the FP then you have another issue, you dont then its highly likely you have a bad FP.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Re: yet another non starter

yes fuel pump is good not sure if its enough pressure for the injectors but with running the starting fluid it cant be a fuel pump issue thats causing it not to start but yet it could be im going to check the timing today and see if I have a stuck egr valve after that im at a loss for ideas on what it could be
Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Smile Re: yet another non starter

ok well the timing was off about 20 degrees it fired right up once it was set but it didnt stay running for long I think it is due to having water in the lines so I am going to get the water out of the tank replace the fuel filter and clean the injectors and I hope that will get it to stay running I guess we will see how it goes from there.