3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Wiring Diagram

Old 02-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Wiring Diagram

hey, im wondering if anyone has a PROPER wiring diagram for a 86 camaro 305 v8 carb... wiring diagram for the overheating sensor and the fusible link and the ..... the WHOLE diagram..my car doesn;t want to cool itself down. so i need to repair it ASAP.. also if you have the wiring diagram for the vaccum products... there seems to be a vacum leak.. i have the one from the hanes manual.. but doesn't seem to work properly.. any help would be greatly app ..

Regards
Douglas
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 AM

Re: Wiring Diagram

Does your 86 have the electric fan, or the clutch fan? I don't remember when they actually started the electric fan setup.
If it is the electric fan and the fan is not coming on at all, you can jump the green wire from the relay to either a switch to make a manual fan on/off switch, or you can just take the wire coming from the sensor in the pass head and ground it out. When you do this, it will make the fan come on anytime the ignition is on. I f you're not into all that, you could also just turn your a/c on, and the fan should start up.
When is the car overheating, when you are driving, or just when stopped? Is the front lower air dam in place and in good condition? That piece directs air up into the radiator. If it is missing or broken-up good enough, then you will not cool very well while driving.
A bad/sticking thermostat, collapsing hose(s), dying water pump, clogged radiator/heater core, and/or bad radiator cap can all make a car overheat. Not to mention if the timing is off, it can overheat too.
As far as all the vacuum ports on the car, if you don't have to pass smog, then I would gut the stuff.
If you are dead set on keeping everything stock (why?), then I might be able to dig up my Chilton's manual and scan you a few pages, if it will help.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 AM

i dont believe mine has A/C.. but i will try that.. i just got a circuit tester today so ill attempt that. As for the over reving. i dont relaly know what to do about that... the overheating occurs when the car is sitting. i can take the relay off and touch it and the fan will come on.. because im connecting the 2 end nodes.. so pretty much doing the same thing.. i think maybe the wire from the sensor to the relay is broken
so i will find out today if that is true or not. if u have the diagram for the air stuff that would help... we do have all the emission **** in canada lol... anywayz... thanks for the time .. it will help me out so much

APP ITT!!!

regards
DOuglas
Old 02-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Sorry, I did not see that the car has been over revving. How high is it actually revving to? You could be suffering from a severe vacuum leak, causing the engine to run lean. That can cause the vehicle to overheat also.
At least we know that you have an electric fan now Most likely, the wire has been fried by the exhaust manifold. I have seen instances when an ECM is failing, that the engine will start to rev up high, but if you aren't sure about the routing of the vacuum lines, it is probably a vacuum leak.

I will try to get that scanned and sent to you. shoot me a pm with your email addy and so i can try to send it to you.

To better help others help you, it would be advisable to edit your signature to include all possible info about your car. IE: 86 L69, mods listed, and any other work you have done. (See mine below)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 PM

Talking Re: Wiring Diagram

it accually has been overheating for a while now. so i believe that i did pull out a air wire or whatever it is.. i will look over the engine tonite.. as well as check out that cable to see if i did bust it outa somewhere.. thanks in advance for the wiring diagram..

APP it

regards
Douglas
BTW it is reving between 2000-2500 RPM's it is stable when it is reving so i believe its a pipe.. if it was the computer going it prolly should be going up and down alot but who knows

Last edited by Camaro_Boy; 02-11-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:05 PM

the problem has been resolved it turned out the thermostat was stuck open.... thanks

Douglas