Re: who makes k-members for third gens?

www.paracing.net
Old 08-28-2004, 06:10 PM

http://www.profabracing.homestead.com/
Old 08-29-2004, 11:28 AM

Which brings up a question I've always had regarding these:

How are they for street use? I've always had the impression that they weren't recommended... (Sure would like to lose some add'l weight on the car though..)

Old 08-29-2004, 07:01 PM

Back before I knew, I would also agree the tubular front end pieces would be bad for a street car but Duke on this board has the PA Racing Chromoly K memeber and A arms on his RS. Along with some stiff lowering springs and 17" rims, he's hit the meanest of potholes and nothing bad has happened to the parts. Goodluck!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 AM

i too have the chromoly setup with the coilover conversion which was suppose to put even more stress. i've hit potholes that have bent wheels but the setup remains fine. strut towers have held up to date as well even with the hop.

Old 08-30-2004, 09:02 AM

I can also vouch for the PA stuff fine for daily driving. My IROC has their mild steel K member and A arms, almost 2 years of daily driving with no problems so far.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by greezemonkey

Looks just like paracing K-members but only $14.00 dollars cheaper... I am probably going to get the a-arms too I wonder if either www.paracing.net or this www.profabracing.homestead.com has a k-member and a-arm kit???
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 AM

I've always wanted a tubular k-member, but was always suggested to stay away from them, being that my car is strictly a fun/track car (road course, not drag racing). Everyone says they're built to be on a car that runs for 13 seconds or less, not to be flogged around corners on a road course or daily driven.

I don't know what to do, cause I'd really like to get one, but don't want to get one that'll end up bent or broken. Mild steel is more likely to bend than break, right? And chromoly is more likely to just break than bed, right?

I may end up just getting one of 'em and going with it.

Eric
Old 08-30-2004, 12:15 PM

that's what many have said, yes. however i have yet to see one that has snapped and i've seen them on auto-x cars to 9 second thirdgens.....

i think if your going to auto-x all the time you should do some extra bracing but for the weekend enthusiast i doubt it would be a problem. mine has held up just fine. 1bad86 has the mild steel version and he's pulled 3' wheelies with the car and not had a problem. as with anything i'm sure it's possible but there are way more examples showing how they work then not.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM

Jeff: Thanks for the input.

Who is said to make the highest quality k-member, of those listed? I guess that leaves PA Racing and Profab Racing (site doesn't come up for me), huh? Are there any others? PA was the only one I knew of before, that made them.

Eric
Old 08-30-2004, 01:04 PM

pa is the same as pro-fab...sort of a history lesson here but in short one of the designers left pa to start pro-fab and they are pretty much identical. to date people recently have showed they get better customer support from pro-fab but whos to say, i don't know of anyone personally running pro-fab though as we all have pa racing.

also there is anthony jones who makes a setup for our car but i haven't personally experienced his. more pricey and art morrison makes one as well but again almost twice the price.

all i can say is from experience that the pa racing unit works and it isn't that pricey. if you tell them on the phone that the price is a bit much often they drop it as well from what you see on their site. if it doesn't work tell them your going to pro-fab and vise/versa as it will work with one of them.

basically they are the same so they should work the same.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ucantcme57
I wonder if ..... has a k-member and a-arm kit???
I know PARacing has kit packages. There are 3 different K-members. Regular, without motor mount perches, without spring mounts. There are also different A-arms. poly or heim joints, with or without spring perches. That plus CM or mild steel.

I believe a complete MS kit, K-member, A-arms and coil over kit is in the $1000 - $1200 range but it's been a while since I priced one out. Depends what configuration you want. Might be even less if you just want a stock replacement style.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:42 AM

Okay, here`s the best deal I think you`ll find, This is pro fab built items, read the auction..it offers you a k member after you purchase the a-arms...so 200 for the a arms 15 for ship plus 210 for the k member + 5 more in shipping 430. for the complete set up! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Keep an eye on"items for sale from this seller", usually once a week they list a set

There is another name they sell under too, keep a look out for this name too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have replaced all of my front suspension with profabs items. Customer service has always been over the top and Vernon is really ready to do what it takes to make all of the customer`s completely satisfied. I think he`d rather be broke than have unhappy patrons. I ve been running the k member and a arms in mild steel for this summer and have had no issues with these parts,mine came with ball joints too. I went with the coil over set up and that`s has been nothing but problems, but regardless of how long it`s been, Vernon is willing to do what ever takes to make it right...I will probably be going back to the stock spring set up. Good luck, you`ll love the room these things free up.

Quick Reply: who makes k-members for third gens?