3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What should I do next?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 AM

What should I do next?

So I am at a dead end of what would be next for my 1992 Camaro RS.

It was gifted to me as a stock 305 L03/700R4 with a Peg leg 10 bolt with 2:73 gears. Besides some body/rust work so far my modifications have been,

Edelbrock Performer TBI Intake
Hedman 68460 LT's (Exhaust not yet finished, plans are 68460's>Hedman S bends 2.5'> Summit H-Pipe> Cherrybomb Glasspacks)
Ultimate TBI Mods: Open Element, Injector Spacer, Throttle Bore Ridges. (Daytona Hood helps with engine bay temps)
9 bolt 3:27 Posi PBR from a 1989 T/A GTA
Founders Performance Non-Adjustable Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar.
WS6 Rear Sway Bar W Energy Suspension Bushings and Endlinks
Stock F41 Springs all around and Front Sway bar.
KYB GR2 Rear shocks.
180F Stat

Of course the basics are done, Full tune-up, etc.

I also did some weight reduction on the front, I lost a good amount of weight fully removing the A.I.R and A/C system and from the Daytona hood and some other things. Enough that the front sits about 1'~ higher.

What are some modifications that you guys recommend? Right now my mind is thinking:

Finish Exhaust
Aluminum Driveshaft
EBL Purchase/Upgrade
LT1 Cam Upgrade

That is pretty much it, I am not trying to replace the 305 at the moment, just make it more fun. I have not driven the Car since all my upgrades that I posted, around 5 months now. So I expect to be surprised on what the 9 bolt upgrade and rear suspension and what I have done in general has brought to the table. I would be more than happy with a mid 14 high 14 1/4 Camaro for now.

I know I will need a bit more to get the old L03 into high 14s let alone mid 14s. So I was thinking of investing into a LT1 Cam upgrade and EBL to help tie it together. I know alot of people will suggest getting rid of the swirl heads but with what? At local yards there is alot of 305 LB9's coming in, Would the head swap to LB9 heads be worth the time?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Okay, I will try my best to help you out.

Originally Posted by 1992CamaroRSZ03
What are some modifications that you guys recommend? Right now my mind is thinking:

Finish Exhaust
Aluminum Driveshaft
EBL Purchase/Upgrade
LT1 Cam Upgrade
Definately finish the exhaust. Aluminum driveshaft would be just a waste of your money at this point. You will not feel any benefit from it. There are better places to put your money.

I know very little about trying to get the most power from a TBI 305. And I know less about the EBL and the LT1 cam swap in the 305. But I do know that you shouldnt dump a ton of money into it. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by 1992CamaroRSZ03
That is pretty much it, I am not trying to replace the 305 at the moment, just make it more fun. I have not driven the Car since all my upgrades that I posted, around 5 months now. So I expect to be surprised on what the 9 bolt upgrade and rear suspension and what I have done in general has brought to the table. I would be more than happy with a mid 14 high 14 1/4 Camaro for now.

I know I will need a bit more to get the old L03 into high 14s let alone mid 14s. So I was thinking of investing into a LT1 Cam upgrade and EBL to help tie it together. I know alot of people will suggest getting rid of the swirl heads but with what? At local yards there is alot of 305 LB9's coming in, Would the head swap to LB9 heads be worth the time?
You can find a ton more information on the third generation camaros/firebirds at www.thirdgen.org

And IMHO, there would be no way I would ever go through the cost and time to swap cams and stock for stock heads on that 305. I know you dont want to replace the 305, but at that point, there would be no reason for you not too.

Hope this helps some, but for right now, finish up the car and get out and enjoy it. Drive it around and then what direction you want to take the car. You might be perfectly happy with it the way it is. Then again you might want to build a 400+ hp motor for it.

Last edited by redneckgames; 10-26-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:26 AM

dont sink a whole lot into the 305...there is very limited potential in that motor and what you would spend on the cam/ heads you could get a 350 in. I had a 91 that i put a tbi 350 in and it ran pretty good, you might want to think about that option, you could then just transplant your mods onto it

Search this Thread