3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what rims?

Old 07-28-2004, 06:04 PM

what rims?

cant decide what rims to go with 18" chrome iroc's or 18"chrome zo6's please post some pics to help me decide.

thanx
Bobby

Last edited by irocket87x; 07-28-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:07 PM

Re: what rims?

z06 with out a doubt if your going 18's...if your staying 16's like i am, just get them chromed like me...
Old 07-28-2004, 06:09 PM

do you have any pics with 18" zo6 on a 3rd gen?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:42 PM

I dont remember the sites where i have seen pics on z06 rims on a 3rd gen but use the seach there are plenty of them on here and trust me they are ****....I was going to put them on my car as well...
James
Old 07-28-2004, 09:14 PM

i'm going to say neither....the z06 style in 18 is too wide for our cars. using adapters is no fun and ups the cost. unless your getting a deal on the larger offset rims i myself am highly against it.

be different and go custom, look on the internet and catalogs for wheels that will directly bolt on to your car wether they are cast or aluminum. the cost isn't any more, you'll have a more original car and not only will the ride be better but you'll be happier in the long run.

the upside to the larger offset wheels is resale more then anything since they will fit larger number of vehicles. i had oe concept z06 wheels on my car and although i loved the looks they rode terrible and the width kept me from being able to lower the car.

good luck.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:48 PM

that is a good point kandied91z, i was wondering about those wheel adapters...but for the other guy, you can go to fbodymotorsports.com and their white camaro with the ls1 has z06 rims i believe..hey kandied, i've been trying to find some rims like what your talking about, but its hard to find the right offset for our cars...do you have any kind of rim in mind that you could help me out..
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Banned

I don't know about most of you but I would say I skin a set of tires every year at the least. 18s cost much, much more for the same tire than a 16. So, the question is "WHY". Why are you going 18s? What do you hope to gain out of it? Traction? Handling? Rice?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by klumb15
that is a good point kandied91z, i was wondering about those wheel adapters...but for the other guy, you can go to fbodymotorsports.com and their white camaro with the ls1 has z06 rims i believe..hey kandied, i've been trying to find some rims like what your talking about, but its hard to find the right offset for our cars...do you have any kind of rim in mind that you could help me out..
i have pictures of roy and i at the 03' camaro superfest. he has 9.5x17 z06 wheels with roughly +54 offset so he should use a 2" all around last i checked. if you were going to go 17" that would be ok if you want to lower the car since you could use the 17x8.5 for the front. the 9.5 is the "narrowest" in an 18" z06 right now. while the rims looked good on both our cars the width kept us from lowering and made them look what most refer to as "suvish" in height. the other downside in looks is how the adapters make your brakes recess into the wheel. i can't remember how many questions i had to answer on that subject and why i put fwd offset wheels on a rwd offset car. reguardless of looks there is the performance stand point. unless your racing the wider wheels not only track more on the road finding every possible rutt but they also slow your car down, couple that with the weight of the 18" cast z06 wheel and your mid 14's car is now a low 15's car.

again, just wasn't worth it to me...all things considered. now as far as wheels for our cars there aren't many that are cast and built to our offset. companies like boyd coddington, budnik, boze, i-forged, intro, hre, billet specialties all make 2 and 3 piece billet alluminum rims that can be custom built to any offset you want and most are reasonably priced. some of these companies also offer custom cast versions as well.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know about most of you but I would say I skin a set of tires every year at the least. 18s cost much, much more for the same tire than a 16. So, the question is "WHY". Why are you going 18s? What do you hope to gain out of it? Traction? Handling? Rice?
usually i agree with you but in this point i don't. personally i hardly consider my 18's anything but "rice". i had to put a larger wheel in order to fit the 13" baer brakes on my car so in that alone it served a great purpose. because i wanted a deep dish reverse mount style wheel i had to opt for 18's to fit the brakes so on my car i couldn't go smaller if i wanted to. with that said i think the 18's fit nicely as they fill the wheel well much better to me. i am not one to like "large meats" or "fat" tires.....however at the same time i don't like "rubberband" tires either. with the technology out there today those of us with larger wheels can hook just as good as someone with a 15" rim running a 26" mickey tompson. not only will the larger rim help with cornering but now you can hook just as good......it only makes sense. however,the downside is weight which is known but with todays forged processes an 18" rim can weigh half what a 15 or 16" rim of yesterday weighs.

the final aspect is overall ride, running an 18" or larger rim definately takes a toll on your suspension with the thinner sidewall tire there is less cushion. with the upgrades in suspension though it doesn't have to be a problem as it use to be......unfortunately here the downside is price. for those on a budget none of this should be a consideration but for those willing to spend the extra money for what they want you don't have to suffer. you can have the updated good looks of a larger wheel with the great ride and outstanding performance if you so desire...
Old 07-29-2004, 09:18 AM

i';ve been looking, i found some 17's with tires...KMC stealth's for 1300 or so...is that a good price..i don't wanna go with 18's because tires are too damn expenisve and i'd be afraid to burn em off..is that a good price for rims and tires? they look amazing too, i like them alot..
Old 07-29-2004, 12:08 PM

your on your own on that one, kmc is more of a suv/luxury style wheel as i have yet to see a set look good on an f-body i've heard of their quality being ok but they are heavy. 1300 isn't bad with tires but it isn't great..few hundred more you could have 18's.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

If you have to have larger brakes then it would be necessary to go with 18 to fit them. Otherwise, all it does is make more rolling resistance and harder to steer. Not all 18s are rice but not all of them are not either. Just depends on what you plan to do. For an autocross, I would go with the larger calipers but for drag I wouldn't bother.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:03 PM

yep, it definately adds rolling mass. i've been curious to swap out my road setup for a drag brake setup and some 15's at the track just to really see what difference it all makes. weight wise it isn't much but the resistance it brings adds up and you can feel it.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:39 PM

i've always liked the way american racing torq thrust II's looked on the 3rd gen. but that's just my opinion
Old 07-30-2004, 01:47 AM

it's a classic design no doubt.....black 91 rs huh? haven't seen it around, do you attend any of the local cruise nights?

mondays red robin hall rd. tues pampa lanes. wed mt.clemens etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what rims?