3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Valve Cover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Unhappy Valve Cover Leak

I have used the Fel-Pro gaskets that are supposed to be the best and they are cork laminate with steel cores or whatever. Anyways they are glued to the VC and they still leak. I am trying a Mr Gasket one that is rubber.

Someone suggested going with a set of used Vette ones or some aluminum ones because the steel ones somehow flex too much when screwed down.

Any ideas? TIA

Edit: We are talking about centerbolt valve covers not the older style of perimeter bolt.

Last edited by aklim; 05-28-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:30 PM

I think Fel-pro makes a silicone gasket that is also be re-used. Apperantly they work really well. I have one on my oil pan and there is no signs of leaking with over 1000 km's.

When you say glued, do you mean with RVT? I did the same thing with mine. Cork gaskets are old school technology. They will always leak no matter what you do. If they dont leak right away, they will once the oil gets a chance to soak in.

I'm swithing over to the silicone gaskets pretty soon too. Makes life a lot easier when you need to pull the covers off and don't need to replace the gasket every time.

Just my $.02
Old 05-28-2004, 01:01 PM

My '89 had a factory silicone gasket on it and I replaced it with a similar silicone gasket (fel pro I think) and it worked great. You may want to try those and I'd verify that your valve cover flanges are not bent. Did one of them get dropped on the floor while it was off?

My thoughts.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Banned

Better not be bent. It came in a box straight from the dealership and I know I never dropped it.

I got a set of Mr Gasket ones to try because I didn't see the Fel Pro ones there. A little late, I guess but oh well. Should be about the same thing.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:49 PM

Did you run a straight edge down the flange on the valve cover to see if it is straight.

You are not trying to stuff a roller rocker under there are you? It may be seating on the poly locks and not on the gasket, that would cause a leak as well.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Banned

I am using roller rockers and I don't think it is sitting on the poly locks but I will have to clay it to make sure. These are the Crane Gold roller rockers that the LT1s are using. They are for cars with centerbolt VCs and are narrow body.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:11 PM

You should be able to tell very easily just by placing them on without a gasket. If they sit flat without rocking than your clear of the valve train. The vavle cover should sit flat on the head surface whithout the gasket. Claying isn't a bad idea though just for peace of mind.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:26 PM

when i was out crusing a couple years back i had to pop my covers becasue i thought i had a stud coming out...during removal the drivers side ripped, and the passenger was already leaking...they were trash..i layed a nice thick bead of RTV blue and it NEVER leaked a drop
Old 05-28-2004, 06:33 PM

how is RTV black
Old 05-28-2004, 06:52 PM

If I'm not mistaken RVT is all the same. The colours are just for diferant heat ratings. I believe black is the highest heat tolerant RVT there is.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:55 PM

so black would be the best then? what is the drawback to using black, price higher?, so if they are the same price then go for the black?

sorry to hijack but what kind of clay do you use to check clearances with, i mean you dont just use playdough right is there something special.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CamaroZ28Coupe
so black would be the best then? what is the drawback to using black, price higher?, so if they are the same price then go for the black?

sorry to hijack but what kind of clay do you use to check clearances with, i mean you dont just use playdough right is there something special.
I thought there was a copper one that might be higher? Not sure. In any case, would blue or black matter that much since it doesn't get that hot on the VC, does it?

I would use modeling clay or playdough.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:15 PM

I have no idea if they make a copper RVT. The only copper substance I know of is copper-slide. I use that on my plugs to prevent them from seizing in the head.

The oil that gets pumped into the vavle cover is the coolest it could get. But once the car is warm, it will be just as hot as the intake would get. I used the black on mine just to make sure. Realistically you shouldn't have to use any at all on the valve cover gasket.

I used some on my oil pan just in the corners of the main caps. Those areas are a little hard to get the gasket to compress perfectly into the corners so a little RVT is great cheap insurance.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:30 AM

I still have the original rubber VC gaskets on my 92 Center bolts. I have replaced the valve covers with new ones & used the original gaskets. All I did different was used red RTV just on the corners of the cover.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned

No kidding gunny. Where do you think my leaks are!! Some people have said that aluminum will be stiffer and/or the rubber gaskets will help. I guess I'll try the rubber gaskets and go from there.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Leak