3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Technical Auto Parts Swap Meet Part Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM

Question Technical Auto Parts Swap Meet Part Question

This weekend I will be attending a huge auto parts swap meet.

I am locating a hard to find 3rd Gen V8 Dual Fan assembly for my '88 Iroc Z28. Certain parts of my original fan assembly are cracked and not worth reinstalling.

Question: If I successfully locate a decent looking part, what should I bring as far as a power supply to test the fans operation?

I don't think lugging around a Die Hard battery would be logical but I have the Optima battery ready in my V6 just in case. I thought about carrying two 6V lantern batteries and connecting them in series. What about a motorcycle battery? What kind of power is needed actually engage the fans to spin?

Any merit about bringing a small 12VDC electronic multimeter? I will consult with Radio Shack for basic 12VDC multimeter usage and testing which I need brushing up on.

I thought about Ebay but you get what you pay for.

The video below shows a Pontiac Fiero GT fan hooked up directly to a 12V battery. Seems direct and simple but I don't want to blow the sellers part, just being cautious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9hq_fT45CE

Last edited by IROCtheZ28; 01-14-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM

No, You wont blow the part up, unless its bad. Just so you know, you can get replacement fan motors, for autozone or advanced, for 25 bucks each, thats how I got replacements for mine. They even come with a lifetime warentee. They are the same for single or dual fans. I wouldnt bring a power source with you, I would make the seller prove to you that they work, otherwise, try to talk them down since your buying a part that youre not sure is good.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

I seen the fan replacement motors on several websites but I was surprised to find 1 broken arm in each fan motor assembly therefore warranting the trip to the swap meet. These arms in triangular fashion are now 21 yrs old.

I did an aftermarket search, Hawks makes a 3rd Gen Dual Fan Assembly and all I see is high buck assemblies complete with a brand new radiator for $899 for example .
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...mbination.html

I will ask the seller to prove to me fan operation is good. I'm sure I'll stumble onto a good assembly.

I thought about rigging up a 4th Gen Dual Fan assembly from a V6 Camaro. Wonder if anyone had done that here?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Are you aware that you can use a dual fan assembly from another vehicle? The Lincoln Mark VIII fans work, as do the LT1 and LS1 fans. You just need to make a few small modifications for them to work.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm gaining some knowledge about parts interchangeabilty within the Chevy realm day by day while sitting here throughout this snowy Northeast winter.

The pics below are from a TrailBlazer SS website, excellent writeup. It's an electric fan assembly install from an LS1. The TrailBlazer is giving up the mechanical fan route for electrical dual fan upgrade. This looks like a clean approach I'd like to fabricate! GM rules....

Photo credit to them guys at TBSSOWNERS.com

TrailBlazer SS fan mod: http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5161
Name:  LS1eFan.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  LS1DualFan.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  80.0 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LS1eFan.jpg (73.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by IROCtheZ28; 01-15-2009 at 12:14 PM.