3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

700r4 shifting questions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

700r4 shifting questions??

alright i have a 87 iroc z that came with the tpi 350 and a 700r4, since i bought the car i had the engine built and i swap'd to a carburetor and had the trans re-built with a shift kit and a 2800 converter installed... my questions are-

is and or was the transmission computer controled in any way while the car was fuel injected?? (it dose have kick down cable still hooked up on carb)

trying to adjust the TV (kick down) cable is hard to get shift points great, if its too loose it will shift before msd's rev limit kicks in but be sluggish, if the cable is tighten'd up it runs like it should be hits rev limit every time 5600rpm is what im set at but it will shift after hitting rev limit..

I run 1/8th mile with the car just for fun and hitting the rev limit costs lots of time, best time so far is an 8:80 (ashamed to even say) and thats with a hoosier slick.

Any input as far as adjusting shift points would be a great step for me to take to improve me times to what they should be!

i run the car in drive and let it shift it self, if i manual shift it she does the same thing.. it shifts when it wants to.......

thanks for reading hope i explained my issue well enough- chris
Old 07-12-2011, 10:10 PM

Re: 700r4 shifting questions??

The lock up is computer controlled, but you can get a lockup kit from summit to overcome this. you don't want to run your tranny w/o torque converter locking up. You will eventually burn up the tc. I have the same problem with my r4 in my IROC as far as shifting goes. It shifts just past redline at WOT whether I shift manually or not. This has to do with the governor in the tranny if I'm not mistaken. I just don't give it hell that often. As I said, look up Summet racing for the lockup kit.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 AM

I have never heard of a torque converter being burnt up by not having the lock-up wired.

You dont have to have a kit to wire it. You can custom build a harness for it and it will work better then most kits.

Now to the original question, you shouldnt be messing with the TV cable to get the shiftpoints. The governor affects it and so does other things in the trans. A kit from Transgo works great in helping shifts. With one, when you shift manually, it will shift when you shift.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by redneckgames
I have never heard of a torque converter being burnt up by not having the lock-up wired.

You dont have to have a kit to wire it. You can custom build a harness for it and it will work better then most kits.

Now to the original question, you shouldnt be messing with the TV cable to get the shiftpoints. The governor affects it and so does other things in the trans. A kit from Transgo works great in helping shifts. With one, when you shift manually, it will shift when you shift.
I have heard of locking tc burning up due to getting hot if they don't lock. Especially for long periods of extended driving. If there is a better way to get it to lock up electronically then that would be better.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 PM

well with my tv cable if i get it a little tighter than what it normally said to adjust it she will hit gears great but shift almost as if its late... yes i know i have a low rev limit but i feel it makes peak power where i have it set at... maybe i need to have it turned up a bit???? still 8 80 out of a built 355 is kind of a ****ty time....maybe its just me but i figured 8 20 ish would be more reasonable????