3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

still overheating...high idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:01 PM

still overheating...high idle

i'm back again with the overheating problem...the water pump is new, the air damn is there and in good shape, there is no water in the oil (changed a day or two ago), plugs all look tan and not white...i'm stumped......could the system be clogged somewhere? how would i tell if it is? i dont have a pressure tester to test the system or anything...also, i flushed and refilled the cooling system today, and ever since i did that the idle has been from 2000 to 2500 and wont slow down...i dont need to touch the gas when i'm driving, more on the brake now...but i dont understand why it would do that......i'm probably going to take it in tomorrow or the next day, but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what might be wrong...thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 PM

Check for a vacuum leak. It sounds like you've pulled a hose off from somewhere.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:25 PM

i checked for leaks already, but maybe i missed something, but even if that slows the idle down, why would it still be overheating? ahhh!! ready to rip hair out of head... .....she's going to a shop friday...they better find the problem cuz i'm getting tired of tinkering with it every day
Old 05-12-2004, 10:39 PM

I am almost positive its one of these two problems.
My first guess would be a vacuum leak. The bigger the leak the higher it will idle. When you have a vacuum leak it will make the car run really hot and can overheat. My friend had a vaccum leak and his manifolds were glowing red it was so hot. I would check the intake gasket/runner gaskets/ an throttle body gasket. also check all your hoses. If you know someone with a vacuum gauge that would also be good. I would start the car, run it for a while then turn it off and in about 5 mins pull the vacuum check valve in your brake booster, if you hear a nice rush of air then you shouldn't have a major vacuum leak. Or in the morning start it up while it is cold start spraying starting fluid in all places there may be a leak and if you hear a change in idle when you sprat it then that is where it is sucking the starting fluid in at. The other possibility which I have seen a few times is that the EGR valve gets stuck shut and it will create a high idle and overheating.
then you can also make sure that your fan kicks on properly and that you have a new thermostat and its in the right way, but I doubt its that cause they wouldn't effect the idle. also when you start the car cold, take the radiator cap off and make sure it is pumping the antifreeze good, rev it up and the level should drop in the rad if its pumping properly. I doubt its anything to do with the fluid/fan/water pump/ or thermostat because it wouldn't effect the idle.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:54 PM

well, i just got her back earlier today...turned out to be a hose that was old causing the overheating...and the tps was out of adjustment...that caused the idle problem...but it's still got a miss at idle, but not in drive or reverse....weird....any ideas why?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:08 PM

Plug wires. My truck had a strange miss. I could only feel it at an idle. It wasn't a constant miss. Just every now and then you could feel it.

I changed the spark plugs again but the new ones weren't that old. I decided to use some Bosch platinum plugs since my plugs have stopped getting oil soaked since I did valve seals. I also put on some new plug wires at the same time (old ones were about 4 years old). My miss went away and my fuel mileage jumped from 10 to 12 mpg.

What hose was old and causing the overheating? A coolent hose collapsed or a vacuum hose cracked and creating a vacuum leak?
Old 05-15-2004, 03:31 AM

You know I'm having the same problem with overheating also. I have an 89 Iroc Z28 with a 350ci. when the fans decides to turn on the engine still runs hot...but another problem i have is that the fans dont turn on sometimes....im going to check the relay and the temp senor...even the fan motors to see if those are bad. I feel you about the overheating....its driving me crazy. Hey what hose was causing your engine to overheat???
Old 05-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Banned

Have the car running in idle and spray water from a spray bottle so it is a fine mist. Do this at night in a garage and if you see a lightning storm, change your wires.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:48 PM

What city are you from?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 PM

the hose that caused the overheating was the one running under the air intake duct that ran from the throttle body to the intake manifold...new preformed hose from autozone and hose clamps for about seven bucks and that fixed it...plug wires are only about a month old...accel 8mm...but i'm gonna try spraying water on em anyway...

southeast michigan...trenton
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 AM

Angry Re: still overheating...high idle

It would not be the first time that the thermostat was found to be upside down.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Re: still overheating...high idle

Originally Posted by Humph7ey
It would not be the first time that the thermostat was found to be upside down.
I notice from yout IP address you are posting from France. Are there many Camaros in France?