3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Smog pump delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:12 PM

Smog pump delete?

Well, I don't have to smog for two years now, and my air pump has been acting up, so I want to do away with it for a while. Is there a smog delete pulley like the one made for the a/c on 1LE cars? Can I just run a shorter belt? Has anyone done this before? Thanks

Will
Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 PM

Re: Smog pump delete?

i have 3 belts, i think its called a vbelt system, i just cut the belt and ripped mine off, i can't really tell ya what to do on a serpentine setup...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Ya I did that on my 86, but now I have an 89 with a serpentine setup... ANYONE? Thanks

Will
Old 01-31-2005, 09:30 PM

Yes, there is a smog pump delete pulley, part number 10186167, $38.19 at www.gmpartsdirect.com . But you can just reroute the belt with a longer belt, part number 968K6. I don't have any diagrams right now of how to route the belt, but I can post some pictures of it tomorrow morning. I've been running the longer belt for a while now and have had no problems with the set-up.

One note though, if you just reroute the belt and remove the smog pump, reinstall the top smog pump mounting bolt. That bolt goes all the way through the bracket and into the cylinder head. If you leave that bolt out, there is a chance that one of the other mounting bolts for the AC bracket will break (This is from personal experience, I had a mounting stud for the bracket break off in the cylinder head because I left that bolt out, and you DO NOT want to risk that, trust me, it's not fun).

Here's a picture of how it looks without the smog pump:

Last edited by Ben91RS; 01-31-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:45 PM

i don't know if thirdgen.org is back up yet, or when it will be back up but they have a diagram of how to put the belt on, part number, and what size belt it is.

I just gutted my pump so it is the smog delete pully.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 PM

Which would be easier. I am guessing with the longer belt you will still have to "remove" the pump all together so the blet doesn't hit anything? I am interested in the delete pulley. I am guess the pulley would incorporate the existing belt. Can't wait to gut my cat as well Thanks fellas

Will
Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Yes, if you just go with the longer, rerouted belt, you have to remove the smog pump (or at least the pump pulley) so the belt won't hit it. The smog pump delete pulley takes place of the smog pump and let's you reuse the stock belt and belt routing.

It's cheaper to just reroute the belt, but it's easier to just buy the smog pump delete pulley. It's your choice.

Here's a picture of the new belt routing:

I'll try to explain the routing: the belt goes from the alternator, down to the power steering pump pulley, up to the water pump pulley, down to the crank pulley, up to the AC pulley, through the tensioner, and back to the alternator.

Last edited by Ben91RS; 02-01-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:21 PM

thanks guys

Will
Old 02-10-2005, 06:42 PM

Can you give me a place where I can get the longer belt to simply reroute it or a belt length? I have my AIR stuff on there now...what all do you take out when you're removing it and what might you have to plug (like I have AIR tubes on my headers)? Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 06:53 PM

you can use the belt from an s10 4.3 88-93 tbi it has no smog pump
Old 02-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zrated383
Can you give me a place where I can get the longer belt to simply reroute it or a belt length? I have my AIR stuff on there now...what all do you take out when you're removing it and what might you have to plug (like I have AIR tubes on my headers)? Thanks
The 968K6 is the part number for the belt you need. It's 96.8 inches long and is a 6-rib belt, hence the 968K6. You can get that belt at any auto parts store, just give them the part number, don't tell them what kind of car you have.

To completely remove the AIR, just unbolt the smog pump pulley, than the smog pump, then the large black box (called the AIR control valve) that attaches to the rear of the smog pump, then just remove any other lines or hoses that are related to the AIR. Remove the AIR line that runs to the stock catalytic converter. Plug the line that comes off of the cat (so you won't have an exhaust leak).

Then you just have to remove the AIR lines that attach to the exhaust manifolds/headers. Most people just cut them the AIR tubes off and weld the holes shut. Or you can just cut off the AIR tubes and thread in 1/4" brass pipe plugs. That's what a lot of people do if they still have the stock manifolds, like I do:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...48_52_full.jpg

And that's it.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Yup, a few 10mm bolts to take out, and the pump itself. After the pump was unbolted, I had to slide it across the swaybar towards the center before it finally clunked-out on the ground.
I went to a home improvement store and just bought two 1/2" pipe caps, that way if I ever want to reinstall the pump (why?), then I just undo the caps and hook it all back up again.
Take a look at the before and after pics on my cardomain page to see what I am talkin about...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/752925/2

But I think I like ben's idea with the 1/4" pipe caps. Looks like it would make it even easier to get to everything w/o those funky tubes always in the way...

Last edited by jconrad; 02-11-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 AM

But I think I like ben's idea with the 1/4" pipe caps. Looks like it would make it even easier to get to everything w/o those funky tubes always in the way...
That was actually the reason why I deleted the AIR. Trying to remove spark plugs with those AIR tubes on was a pain.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:31 AM

I agree, 100%. I just changed my O2 sensor, and those tubes make it really tough to dig around in there
Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info ive been meaning to get around to this once the longtubes go on.I looked up the part # and it came up as a water pump pulley-Is this just a misprint on the site? can i bolt in the delete pulley to the existing bracket?Id rather do that than swap belts as ive got a new one on and a couple more lying around.thnx again and hello to everyone.

Quick Reply: Smog pump delete?