3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Smog pump

Have one question that maybe someone could answer. I have a noisy smog/air pump that sound like a bad bearing that appeared right after I had the car transported down from S .Jersey and read an article in ThirdGen board that you can remove the pump from the car by rerouting the serpentine belt (How to Remove Your Smog Pump From Your Serpentine Belt Equipped Third Gen. by Pablo Morales.) with a longer serpentine belt. Any comments or experience in this validity to that theory? Can it operate just as well or will be something be taken away from the equation? THANKS.

Ride is a 1991 5.0L 5 speed w dynaflow exhaust, power chip , K$ N filters, 17" ROH Spyher wheels, Sumito tires; 245/R45/17/8" FRT & 275/17/17/9.5" REAR
KEC

Last edited by K. E. Christy; 09-18-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: info
Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Re: Smog pump

You need to add a "Signature" with basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods. That way people don't have to go to your "garage" to figure out what you are asking about.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks Fred for the advice. Were in CH? What development?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Done
Thanks Fred
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Administrator

If it was "done" there would be "Signature" under the text of your post. Everything below the solid line below, starting with "Fred" is part of my signature. I think you added the year of your car to the "Biography" field, and that does not show up in your posts.

Left click on "User CP" on the red task bar at the top of the page. On the drop down, left click on "Edit Signature". Type the info about your car in the "Edit Signature" box that opens up. When you are satisfied with the content, click the "Save Signature" button at the bottom of the box. That way, the information will appear in ever post, unless you "unclick" the "Show your signature" box at the bottom of the screen where you are typing your post.

As far as NJ (?), I'm in East Brunswick.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Is this what your looking for.?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Perfect......

And now let's try moving the post to the 3rd Gen forum.....
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM

The smog pump removal procedure you referenced is valid. Done it myself on several cars. The related air diverter valves with the electrical connections can be removed as well. The ECM controls them but doesn not monitor their function (no SES light if they are removed).
Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: Smog pump

THANKS for your input.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Just for clarification: the ECM does not monitor the function of the smog (A.I.R.) pump, that is correct, but it does rely on the air being pumped into the exhaust manifolds on cold starts and adjusts the O2 sensor reading accordingly. (see 8D data mask, you will notice "AIR Enable Min. Temp" at 0x39A and "AIR Rich/Lean Reduction Volts" at 49D)
So in conclusion, if the smog (A.I.R.) pump is removed, it makes the engine run leaner at cold start. How lean? Not enough to damage the engine but certainly to reduce the power some.
Btw, the "AIR Enable Min. Temp" stock value is at 15°C (about 60°F) so once the engine reaches that temperature, the mixture will return to the proper ratio and the engine will regain full power.

Hopefully I explained this well enough.
Cheers
Lou
Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Thanks Lou for your input. Makes a point. Have a another pump purchased and was trying to decide to replace or remove. Sounds like leaning on replacement rather then take a chance. Not worth since I got the pump for <$50 from Hawk's.
KenC
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Christy, that is a wise decision. If you can replace and keep what you have working, it is less trouble than removing and adapting everything. Also, many states, cities and counties now require all original emissions equipment on vehicles present and working. So if your locality has such rules, you would be hard pressed to find an inspector who would pass your car without emissions equipment.

Good luck.
Lou
Old 09-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Lou:FYI
The car is now registered in NJ as a collector car and does not has to be inspected but the car is now in Florida and soon going to be registered there soon and they do not have inspection.so that situation was never a the problem. But thanks for your thoughts on this issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM

On my 88 Camaro with the serpentine set-up, I deleted my smog pump after the bearings started to go out and you know what's nice to know? I didn't have to use a longer belt afterwards. I just had to re-route the belt abit. Nothing hard to do either. I'm pretty sure your serpentine set-up is the same as mine too.