3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

smog and AIR pump question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM

smog and AIR pump question

I bought a set of hooker headers(2460) for my 91 camaro 5.7 tpi, the headers do NOT have the AIR pump lines to it.
can i take off the AIR pump and the lines without it giving me a check engine light?
i would like to take off as much emissions stuff as i can without losing my A/C or pulling a check engine light.
does anyone have experience with this?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM

I bought a set of hooker headers(2460) for my 91 camaro 5.7 tpi, the headers do NOT have the AIR pump lines to it.
can i take off the AIR pump and the lines without it giving me a check engine light?
i would like to take off as much emissions stuff as i can without losing my A/C or pulling a check engine light.
does anyone have experience with this?
I do!
Yes,
you can take the air pump off and it won't throw any codes. Once your car goes into closed loop, it doesn't even look at the air pump.
My IROC does not have any emissions stuff anymore. But in Illinois they no longer check out OBDI cars, as they are exempt. Plus my IROC is now classified as a show car!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM

does your car still have AC?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM

I use to have AC, but whats the point when you have t-tops! So I pulled all that out too, and added a AC delete box. Below is a current pic of my engine bay.
Name:  tazenginebay1.jpg
Views: 2375
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM

ok, thanks. your car looks great.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM

No prob!
If you need any more help/advice let me know.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1988IROC-Z28
I use to have AC, but whats the point when you have t-tops! So I pulled all that out too, and added a AC delete box. Below is a current pic of my engine bay.
Looks like you have the firebird TPI filter system in your car. Is this correct. My 89 firebird formula 350 looks like yours, but my old iroc-z and my current 91 z-28 have the dual filter intake. Just wondering if the engine was from a donor car or if it's original.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 AM

Oh, I forgot to say that your car looks really good in orange. I would get my attention if I saw it on the street.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Looks like you have the firebird TPI filter system in your car. Is this correct. My 89 firebird formula 350 looks like yours, but my old iroc-z and my current 91 z-28 have the dual filter intake. Just wondering if the engine was from a donor car or if it's original.
The intake is a SLP cold air with K/N air filter. Yea it is very similar to the Firebirds. If you want alot of power, one of the key ingredients is air. The duel snorkle intake you speak of chokes some of the incoming air. So I replaced it. I built the engine my self from the block up.

Here's a pic of some of the parts when I did the build, and engine stats:

383 L98 TPI

Engine:
350 bored .030 over truck block 4 bolt main, line bored, magnafluxed, cylinders honed

engine internals balanced

Engine Modifications:
Stock plenum ported/simeased for the runners and throttle body

Edelbrock intake manifold and runners ported and simesed

Edelbrock Performer heads ported 64cc & 160/202 intake/exhaust

Edelbrock Valve Covers

Moroso valve cover breathers

Edelbrock BBK 58mm Throttle Body

Racetronix 37lb. Injectors

Walbro high performance fuel pump

Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator

Manly Pushrods

Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers

Comp cam Hydraulic roller:
510/540 gross lift 1.6 rockers bump up lift to 576
Duration at .050 intake:230/exhaust244
Lobe separation:112

Federal Mogol Sealed Power Speed Pro 10:5:1 forged pistons

Sealed Power Chrome Molly rings

Eagle forged piston rods

refurbished truck 400 crank turned down polished and balanced

Power Force harmonic balancer

Moroso 6qt. Pan

Edelbrock water pump

Name:  383rebuild-1.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  104.3 KB
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Looks great, I just love the looks of a TPI motor.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:58 PM

On my Mac Mids i plugged the ports w/ plugs i bought on Ebay& don,t get chk. eng. lite.I also bought a off-road pipe to eliminate the cat. convertor.All in that elusive pursuit of a 12 sec. time slip
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM

I used to have Edelbrock tes headers. Then when I decided to get rid of the smog/emission crap. I just went to the hardware store, and picked up a couple of plumber end caps. Total cost about $2.00, time to install about 10 minutes. Never had a engine light/code issue because of that mod! But of course the ever addiction to more power, forced me to sell the Edelbrocks and replace them with Hooker long tubes #2210. MY original Cat was hollowed out before I bought the car, and again never had a engine light/code issue due to that! But once again due to the pursuit of more power, when I got the Hookers I decided to replace the rest of the exhaust. So I got a Mufflix 3" system which then dumped into a 3" Flowmaster muffler.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Just to clarify:
yes, it is true that you won't get a code.

However, your engine will be running lean at times when the ECM thinks it is injecting air into the headers and rich afterwards. You will want to modify your EPROM chip to account for the change in emissions equipment. Otherwise, your engine will never achieve ideal self-learning and will run with poor emissions results, varying rich and lean conditions.

You can read more about it here: http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=214321

Lou
Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 PM

However, your engine will be running lean at times when the ECM thinks it is injecting air into the headers and rich afterwards. You will want to modify your EPROM chip to account for the change in emissions equipment. Otherwise, your engine will never achieve ideal self-learning and will run with poor emissions results, varying rich and lean conditions.
I have never heard that before. Maybe the newer cars that are OBDII, would have that issue, but even my 94'Z-28 which had the OBDII, I removed the smog pump and never got a code, the car had additional bolt ons as well. As I also said before too, once your car goes into closed loop it no longer looks at the smog pump period. The actually function of the smog pump is to put warm air into the engine faster, until the engine reaches proper temperature. Plus your O2 & MAF sensors is what monitors your air/fuel mix and tells the ECM what it needs to do.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...smog-pump.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1988IROC-Z28
Plus your O2 & MAF sensors is what monitors your air/fuel mix and tells the ECM what it needs to do.
That is, unfortunatelly, a very common misconception.
Even though the O2 sensor monitors the exhaust stream, injecting air into the manifolds will change the O2 reading which needs to be compensated.
If the computer is then compensating for the extra air it believes the smog pump is pushing into the headers, you will end up running lean.

Also, another misconception is that the smog pump sends air to the manifolds only at cold startup. That is also an old wives' tale. If you look at the $8D code, for example, you will see that there is RPM, O2 reading and other criteria for deciding when to divert the air into the manifolds.

Tim explains it pretty well in the TGO thread 214321 that I posted earlier and to which your thread links as well. Read through his code snippets, the conditions are visible there.

One last misconception that I hear all the time: if the car runs rich/lean, you'll get a CEL.
Not necessarily true. If it's just an intermittent condition and not too far off the scale, the ECM tries to compensate. The 80's computers didn't have enough power and programming to detect that, the new OBD-II computers usually do.

Hope this helps.
Lou

Quick Reply: smog and AIR pump question