3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

engine/trans swap.any helpful tips??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM

engine/trans swap.any helpful tips??

hi,
here is what i have,i have a 88 iroc 305 700r-4,tpi. im planning on swapping that into a 89 s-10,question here is,i dont know much about automatics,and i think this trans is computer controlled??? maybe not,anyways i dont plan on running the tpi on the s-10,just going with a carb,and ratchet shifter for the trans. is there anything i need to do,or look out for with this transformation?
and on the other end,i have a 383 pre 86 block, that i am wanting to put back into the camaro,with hopefully the lt1 intake,and tpi fuel injection setup, along with a t-56 trans. i have dont the trans swap before with the t56,so i know pretty much everything i need to do there, and the engine should bolt right in, i just have to work out the lt1 intake,and fuel injection setup on the 383,anyways let me know what you think might be of help,thanks.
phil
Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Re: engine/trans swap.any helpful tips??

Howdy Phil,

just a few pointers here: the 700r4 is a hydramatic transmission so it is not computer controlled (except for the 4th gear TCC lock-up) so you can run it behind a carb with no problems.
If the block for the 383 is pre-86, it is very likely a flat-tappet setup. If so, you might want to get a roller setup or convert the block easily. And don't fall for the marketing lies that you must spend $2500 on their conversion kits.
The LT1 intake uses its own injection setup, you cannot reuse the TPI injection. The fuel rail is completely different.

Good luck with the swaps.
Lou
Old 02-17-2011, 12:06 PM

You will probably want to swap the TV cable to one from a TBI car. The TPI cable is a lot longer and doesnt work with a carb as well. Use the correct brackets and make sure it is setup correctly.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM

hi,
first off thanks for the input,and big bad lou, im not sure how they was doing,maybe people are keeping the injectors for the lt1 as well??? i know i had seen it done somewhere else,but either way,i have 2 tpi setups,i might end up keeping that... and the engine i am getting has a huge cam in it now,and i will be changing it out,however im not sure as to wether or not its already a roller,ill have to check into that.im want it to be most streetable,maybe slight track action maybe....

redneck games im assuming your meaning for the auto trans to work correctly??and aside from bolting it in and hooking up the lines and cables,is there a sticky or something as to how to adjust everything on these trans? thanks alot guys.