3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

putting a big block in a 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:18 AM

putting a big block in a 3rd gen

since it has been asked a few times i figured i would post where im at on my bb swap on my 92.
ive got a .60 over 396 with a 700 holley and a performer intake its got a stock pan for a 70'ish camaro im gonna run a long water pump with a remote resevoir pump and a 100 plus amp alternater i am putting a tubular k member in to give me more room for the pan and headers ill be getting control arms eventually to go with it im going to install an aluminum radiator to help with cooling and an aftermarket trans cooler i will also be getting a 4 in cowl hood.
now to answer the basic questions i always hear about these swaps
do you need a taller hood ? yes
will a stock pan fit ? only if it and the k member are notched
do you need to upgrade the cooling system ? definetely a good idea (especially if its a big cubic inch or high horsepower motor)
do you need to upgrade the suspension ? always a good idea even if its a street car
will my trans fit ? if it fits a small block it will however depending on the condition and if its a manual (some sticks werent very strong ) you may want to upgrade or beef up what you have
what wiring do i have to keep ? im still working on mine so i have not figured that one out yet

now my car that i am building is a street car its not going to be trailered unless its broke im gonna be running the stock rearend until i have the funds to upgrade to a 9 in but i plan on running drag radials and making them hook
so it will be a have to at some point but not for a while i dont plan on breaking anything until i put my next motor in it which will be over 500 cubic inches

hopfully this will help those that are thinking of doing this swap