3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

power surging

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:33 PM

power surging

seems funny to think of "power" anything on a 2.8l, but my 88 camaro has had a problem for a long time now (possibly sinse i put the rebuilt engine in there) in that it power surges. it almost always is at a low level of power, but some times i'll step on the gas and it just launches with ease. i'll be driving along taking off at a normal rate from a stop light and have my foot in one position on the petal and suddenly the power will just fall off and the engine doesnt build RPMs at the same rate anymore (so its not like it's the rebuilt tranny clutches slipping or anything. I know what that sounds like from this past winter) and theres really just not enough power to even call it a standard sport car anymore. I'll sometimes slam on the gas while it's doing that and it'll downshift and everything just fine, but even at like 5500 rpms theres just no real power there. no jerking you into your seat or anything. what could I look at to solve this problem?

last weak i replaced one of the exhaust header gaskets that was leaking BADLY and it really helped with how smoothly the engine ran and it doesnt surge as bad as it was, but it still happens. could another, smaller exhaust leak before the O2 sensor be something to look for? dirty injectors? maybe a bearing that's crushed too tight on the camshaft?
it's got a starter in it that's not that old either. maybe 9 months or so, and usually at start it doesnt turn the engine over fast at all. i've actually got the timing set to like 16 degrees BTDC to help with power, especially at high end, and it really does help, but could that be something causing the slow turn over? the engine itself never actually doesnt start.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:35 PM

oh yeah, also, can anyone tell me where the wire is to disconnect during timing set? we've been trying to find it sinse i got the car last year. alldata says its a brown wire i think. ive asked many people and everyone tells me they've never been able to find it.
thanks again!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 PM

You may have to reajust your TV cable(throttle valve) if it's been doing this since you did the trans. Go to TGO.org do a search on how to do,it's realy very simple. If it serges at idle then it may be IAC (idle air control).
Old 06-22-2004, 05:27 PM

The timing wire's up on the firewall on the passenger side near the AC and heat Box
Old 06-22-2004, 09:03 PM

The wire is usually tan with a black stripe. It comes out of the loom for a few inches, and then goes right back in. It has a quick connector that looks like the one for your O2 sensor.
Right behind the pass strut tower.
Darn, can't figure out how to attach an image from my PC.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 AM

thinks for the help on that wire! tan sounds about right. its been a while sinse i actually read the alldata article on how to do it. I must have just gotten my colors mixed up.

readjust the TV cable? it's kinda been doing it sinse i put th eengine in last year. the tranny wasnt rebuilt till 1500 miles ago. what could cause that cable to get out of whack? its just like a throttle cable from what i remember
Old 06-23-2004, 09:40 AM

i agree w/ IROC-T,try cleaning the IAC. if it gets carboned up sometimes it will cause it to surge.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:27 PM

IAC is a low cost, preventative mantenance procedure. Go ahead and take it out and clean it up. If it works, then great
Also make sure your timing is set correctly. Most of our engines like a little advance, even though they don't specify that from the factory.
And for the TV cable, it is a cable, and they can stretch just like a throttle cable It's very easy to do, but alot of people seem to have trouble with it, for some reason. Just follow the instructions in the tech article, and you'll be good to go.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:04 AM

the idle air control is the little space where the air comes in past the butterfly with zero % throttle, right?

the engine's rpms dont surge. its just the power. you'll be driving along with your foot half way down and climbing rpms pretty quickly, then out of nowhere, you can feel the power just drop off instantly and your sitting there with an engine that sounds like it's just strainings to keep timing correctly.

if the TV cable was stretched i dont think it would surge. it might make the thing shift early but i dont think it would actually take power from the engine. the tranny itself seems to shift perfectly. if you give it gas, up an incline the tranny downshifts smoothly with even a slight push on the petal if its needed, doesnt throw your head back or anything, just a nice, slow, smooth acceleration
Old 06-24-2004, 06:08 PM

how long has it been sence its had a new fuel filter put in?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 AM

i put one in, and a new fuel pump late last year
Old 06-25-2004, 02:35 PM

Re: power surging

Originally posted by CamaroStylin

last weak i replaced one of the exhaust header gaskets that was leaking BADLY and it really helped with how smoothly the engine ran and it doesnt surge as bad as it was, but it still happens. could another, smaller exhaust leak before the O2 sensor be something to look for?
Not knowing how bad and how long the header leaked it is tough to say,but you could have a warped or cracked valve run a compression test,and yes another leak could give you a problem. I would also check the TPS to make sure you are getting the proper voltage at differant positions,and check for leaks on the throttle body itself (ie shafts,gaskets,etc.)this may not pan out but will rule out differant possibillities.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:51 PM

dont worry guys... i got hit and my car's absolutely demolished. check my post on the topic for pics
this sucks....