3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

need help about to buy a maro (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 PM

need help about to buy a maro (i think)

i can buy a 89 maro rs with a 305tbi, the motor is from a 91 maro. for just about 800 dollars i have a 89 gta with a 5.7 g92 but i want a maro instead. i know i will be loseing power with this switch, but i get my maro, and i will have almost a thousand to put into the camaro when i get it. the maro is pretty clean put what do i need to do to make it fast or can i even make it fast just with bolt ons.i have had a bad experence with the tuned port injection, so i figured tbi can't be that bad. any suggestions will help
Old 08-27-2004, 07:06 PM

Re: need help about to buy a maro (i think)

for 800 bucks i prolly would..it would be a good candidate to switch over to a carb setup..or at least that is what i would do.....you can make good power with a 305 and people always underestimate you too when you go to race....if its in decent shape and you really want it...go for it..
Old 08-27-2004, 08:00 PM

i would do most of the mods that are in your car how fast is yours can you beat a new skool z28 that is stock. and if i switch to carb say a holly 600 with a eldebrock high rise intake.what kind of power would i gain or lose i just want a car that would be capable of my be a high 13 second quarter mile and some good gas mileage and i live in cali so i need to past smog.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:18 AM

i don't know if you would pass smog with a carb swap..i don't know much about that, i do what i want in michigan...yea i can run with the new z28's...i've beat a 96 trans am 6 speed, he had the car for 5 months and his excuse was he was still new to it...i was like yea okay....i squeked a win outta a ls1 automatic too...he snoozed on the line, and by the time he hooked up i had a huge lead on him...its wierd, cause with 3rd gens they come outta the hole so easily, and the new z's take for ever, but when they hook up, that 6 speed was on my *** like nothin...i thought he broke something at the line, but he was in my mirror in no time..and if you can, switchin to a hirise manifold like a performer rpm and say a 600 carb, you should see a huge gain over the TBI, and you can put a mild cam in there also, it could be a sweet ride, as long as emissions don't hold ya back..
Old 08-28-2004, 10:24 AM

i went and drove the car yesterday it ran like crap no power at all, adlease compared to my gta and the rear corner by the gas tank was hit not that bad but it was hit. Also the tranny only had 1,2,drive i knew they put that tranny in a couple of cars which is pretty weak. the rest of the car was pretty clean t-tops black interior and so on. but when you step on the pedal it would take a second then the little power that was there kicked in it would take 10 seconds to get to 60 from me just counting in the passenger seat while he drove. At the end of the day i offered him 600 and he said yes, so i'm trying to think if it's even worth that.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:50 AM

you gotta look at what it could be, not what it is....if it sounds like its gonna be a lot of work, and you don't know what you are getting into, don't get it....i would say it sounds like a good project car, you get a little money, you put it into the car and then soon or later it will be a decent looking and driving car...
Old 08-28-2004, 01:13 PM

if i put in a 350 tpi from a maro would i have to switch the computer and do all that wiring is that a major swap. i would be willing to do that if it's not a pain in the butt. That car will cost 600 out of the 2200 i had to spend so that leaves 1800 dollars and my friend has a maro with a crate tpi with only 12,000 miles he would sell it to me and let me take all parts i would need.(car has no title) so that's 800 dollar left over after i make the motor switch plus i still have a body that is hit in the rear and the car is in need of a paint job. should i just hold out and wait till i can by a iroc in close to same condition as the other car would be after i swaped thanks so much i just want to do it right.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:45 PM

to the top